Sunday, June 02, 2024

Quilt Monster & A Very Good Girl

I just mentioned Anna, who has been one of Romney's very best besties. She is so cute, and makes me feel very loved. She was one of the gals who made a surprise appearance on the night of senior prom. In fact, she led the way. She knew that if anyone needed medical care, our house was close by and a safe place to barge into. Ha. I love her so much.

A month or so ago there was a choir performance. Oh my gosh, I just realized that I never blogged about this. All of the East High choirs performed a few pieces, plus a bunch of kids performed solos. Boy was I surprised when just a couple of days before the performance Emma let me know that she had auditioned for a solo and would be performing the song "Good Girl Winnie Foster" from Tuck Everlasting. I was quite nervous about it - in my typical anxious-mother way. But man, she did great!!


After the concert, we were all hanging around together and chatting and cute Anna came up to me and grabbed my hands and, with a squeeze and the sweetest smile, said, "I want to ask you for something." Well hello, ask me like that and you can have anything you want! I don't know what I was expecting her to say, but what she asked for was a quilt for her college dorm bed.

I know that is a really big ask, but I could feel nothing but excitement and flattery. That actually meant so much to me! And also I love love love making quilts. So I immediately agreed. Over the next few weeks we texted ideas back and forth to each other and eventually took an afternoon to go fabric shopping. It turns out I had something much different in mind, and was so glad she was with me to pick out the colors. She picked out the most delicious mix of colors and patterns - I NEVER would have put them together but she just buzzed around making careful selections and came up with a palate that was deemed "perfect Anna colors" by everyone who saw the fabric.

I got working on it really quickly and had so much fun. We picked a pattern with much smaller pieces than I had been using recently and it was pretty intense. This led to me getting pretty frustrated with my little old machine I had been using for 20 years. I went hunting on KSL classifieds and made an amazing find. A barely-used Husqvarna sewing machine for a ridiculously low price. I couldn't believe it! I was only too happy to go pick that up, and when the lady told me that she was just hoping that the machine was going to go to the right person, I assured her it was and that I was incredibly excited and grateful. I have named her HoneyButter.

Anyway. Back to quilting. I have finished the top, all except for a border. The quilt has to go on hold for a bit while I get my feet under myself at a new job (more on that later). I'm super excited to quilt it and look forward to summer nights of watching the Olympics and quilting. 

Here are some cute photos of our Rollins-girl, who likes to bring us massive amounts of leftovers from her job at a local soda shop. The others Romney took of her, either for Romney's photography class or for Anna's graduation announcement.





Yeah, we didn't make it through many of those pretzel bites or scones. And she's made more than one delivery of that size.

No comments: