Thursday, March 06, 2008

Help Me Out Here

Okay people. Help me out. Help me understand my child. Bitty is killing me. Yesterday, she had a nap on the way home from a long drive, which we know is the equivalent of having a completely nocturnal child. She went to bed after 11:00, which is better than it has been in the past. Does she sleep in this morning? Of course not, she's awake before 7:00, maybe even 6:30. So, I keep her up all day. She does snooze for literally 10 minutes on the way to a friend's house, but I quickly wake her up. 10 minutes, people. Does this count as a nap? To her, apparently it does, because tonight, at 10:00 when she had expressed her 1,845,973rd desire for me to do something for her, she was still in a perfectly energetic and chipper mood. You know, I adore my daughter, but 15 hours of her undivided company got to be a little much. Aren't kids supposed to need a lot of sleep? And now, I'm sitting here exhausted, basically typing with my eyes closed because I just need a few more moments of time without anyone asking me for anything.

Ah, motherhood. Goodnight.

2 comments:

Gina said...

My kid has been waking up at 6:30 everyday lately too. He is the biggest grump by afternoon and without a nap is falling asleep right at dinner time. But with a nap and he is up until 11 too. I am glad others are having the same problem, I hate to be alone in things like this. Bryon had a good point this morning that I should let him wake up at 6:30 because this weekend is daylight savings and that is the biannual battle that I hate fighting.

Jodi said...

I'm not sure if it is any help, but my favorite sleep reference is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth, MD. It was recommended from a friend when Chloe was tiny, but it goes up through teenage years. I've found it at the library and they even sell it at Target. It sounds like she has the happy part taken care of, but the sleep is lacking. I wish they sold a magic wand for sleep. Love seeing how you guys are doing and keeping up to date. Thanks for the comment.
Jodi