Sunday, March 01, 2009

Too Much of a Good Thing

Anyone who knows my daughter Bitty knows that she can be rather (how shall I say it?) temperamental. Lots of ups and downs. Lots. People who don't know her are often worried that she doesn't like them, because she generally snubs the friendly advances of anyone who talks to her. I try to assure them that she treats everyone this way. (Is that reassuring? I'm not sure.) Anyway, she's been on a pretty good streak lately. (Perhaps for two whole days!) I have to admit that these streaks or happiness and affection are charming and a very welcome break from the moody bouts she plagues us with. And when I say "moody" I really mean this unbelievable banshee-like behavior that makes you want to run away screaming.

This latest happy phase has been notably punctuated by intense fits of hugs and kisses. This sounds like a good thing, right? Okay, it pretty much is. She is pretty darling about it. She says things like, "Daddy, I love you so much I just can't stop loving you!" (Of course, she still says other questionably cute things too, such as yesterday at the store when I pleaded with her to stop eating her boogers. She replied, "Mom, that's just what little kids do! They eat their boogers!") She's very sincere about her application of affection and let me tell you, you can feel the love. Feel it, man. Like I said, it's darling for about the first 25 to 30 kisses. And she's a very strong hugger. But after that you start to feel just a little clobbered. Take today at church, for example. She spent the majority of the meeting administering fierce hugs and very loud sloppy kisses. Everyone watching; the people in the pews behind us, Troy, up on the stand; were smiling in an "awww isn't that cute kind of way," but I started to feel like I was wrestling with a very loving octopus. And I know it's beginning to be a problem, because tonight after dinner at a friend's house we had to tear her away weeping because she wasn't "done kissing Cameron yet." I think we may have a problem on our hands.

(Sorry, no pictures for this one - I'm not that handy with a camera. Wresting the three-year-old kissing monster and taking pictures aren't really compatible activities.)

3 comments:

jefferies said...

I'm sorry for your pain, but that's just funny. And cute.

Windybrook Spinner said...

I love it when you post. I know my day will always be brighter. Is the moodiness just a girl thing because Peep has it in major doses too? She does seem to be vastly improving. Or is it a personality thing? I do know that I'm a much more patient person because of it. I also started knitting and spinning like a fiend when Peep was nine months old. Connection? I think so.

Swimmingmom said...

Why can I just picture you in sacrament meeting with a half smile! I'm sure not so funny for you, but you painted the picture well and it gave me a good chuckle this afternoon. Hope she'll discover the middle ground soon!