Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Lights On!



We totally hit the jackpot last weekend.  What a treat!  Stomper has developed a friendship over the past couple of years with a cute boy; they've been classmates ever since 1st grade and then he joined our soccer team during second grade.  He is just a sweet boy, and he and Stomper get along really well. You know, both being major Harry Potter fans they always have a lot to talk about!  We've even started having him over once a week while his mom works and the boys continue their constant chumminess.  So it just so happens that this kid's dad is the director of the Downtown Alliance and over the weekend, the day after Thanksgiving, there was a big celebration at the Gallivan Center to turn on the Downtown Christmas lights.  So Stomper's friend got to be the kid, alongside the mayor and his wife, to push down the big plunger turning on the lights.  He got to pick one friend and happy for us, he chose Stomper.




I have to say that I have always loved the lights that sparkle all over our beautiful city during the month of December.  They are just enchanting.  However, I sometimes shy away from the hoards of people flocking down there all month long.  I had heard about the Lights On celebration a week ago but didn't think I wanted to haul  my kids down there in the cold and deal with the parking and the people.  But then my friend called and invited Stomper to be a part of it and I'm so glad she did.  It really was cool.  I even had a couple of Stomper's cousins and my mom with me -  we had a big crowd just on our own!  But we headed down to the Gallivan Center anyway, listened to a great children's choir for a bit, nibbled on candy canes, and then Stomper got to go up on stage and help turn on the lights.  He even made the evening news - pretty cool!


It was a great kick-off to our holiday season and I'm so glad we got the chance to be a part of it.  Now all we need are piles and piles of snow.....

6 comments:

Margaret said...

That's Ian! Love that family. What a neat experience.

Melissa said...

How fun! I'm with you on the snow. I need a little to get into the holiday spirit, and I definitely want a white Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including me in the list of people who went with you.

Troy (your husband)

Rachel said...

And I forgot to mention that my husband was also in attendance and I great appreciated his presence more than words can say. Obviously. There, happy honey?

Sheri said...

Can I just say...waaaah? I wanted to play with Lainey and Smitty and Rosey and Whitley and notice how all their names end in y...does that make him Adamy? Anyway, that looks like a lot of fun and I'm glad Troy was there but I'm so sad that it wasn't a Romney year and that we all could have played....maybe for Christmas....

Sheri said...

Sorry...that was very disjointed...maybe I need a little less Diet Coke and a little less sugar for my late Wednesdays eh?