Thursday, March 21, 2013

Cookies. And MORE Cookies.

Bitty got to start girl scouts this year, did I ever mention that?  I can't remember.  I was a girl scout for a few years in my youth and I have some great memories.  And some not great ones too....but that's another story.  My sister did Brownies and Girl Scouts with her daughters and I have always wanted to get Bitty involved too.  I was even thinking of getting up the energy to pull a troop together myself when ah-HA a friend did it first.  Yay!  We are now very happily involved and earning patches in droves.

This winter it seems like our main activity at home has revolved around the selling, sorting and distributing of girl scout cookies.  Bitty sold 300 boxes and I was very proud of her but I have to say, the Girl Scout organization doesn't really start handing out the big prizes until you sell 500 boxes, and some people get up into the 1000 - 2000 box zone.  That sounded very impressive until I tried to help Bitty sell, sort and deliver only 300 boxes.  Holy Cow!  My living room was covered in boxes and I felt like we spent weeks driving around with cookies in the trunk trying to get them out to all the generous purchasers of cookies.  It was a ton of work.  For me.  Bitty seemed to enjoy herself immensely.  Even still, I couldn't help but be proud of her.

Look at all the Thin Mints.....
So proud....that I bought her a little memento of her first cookie year. (Possibly her last, though don't tell her I said that.  Oh who am I kidding, people go nuts for cookies and most people we sold to told us to come back for sure next year!)  Since the cookies themselves seem to evaporate instantaneously once you open the boxes they don't make a memory that lasts very long.  Instead as we were depositing the sales money at the Girl Scout Store I came across some earrings that I couldn't resist:



Cute, right?

We earned her a spot at two different camps this summer plus free entrance into a cookie party hosted by the Girl Scout Headquarters.  Part of me hopes that they have more there than just girl scout cookies to eat after all the work we went to to earn entrance.  And part of me....just wants more girl scout cookies and would be perfectly happy if the party were nothing more than piles of Samoas, Thin Mints and Tag-a-Longs heaped upon tables for our enjoyment.  

I will report back after I find out.


No comments: