Sunday, July 07, 2013

Who Wudda Thunk It

When I was a kid, I fought like crazy with my siblings. We just could not figure out how to get along with each other. Well, not so much with Peter. He was too little and too cute. And my best little buddy. But the other two...wow. And the sibling who wins the battle-it-out competition? My next younger brother, Adam. Wow we fought a lot.

I remember such incidents as the wars we waged with these two big plastic guns; one white and the other red. Pretending to shoot each other was always how it started out but somehow we would get frustrated along the way and it would lead eventually to just full on whacking each other with the things. I also remember the time he told my family who my crush was and I was so incensed that I leapt out of my chair and launched myself into his chest, knocking him off the edge of the porch where he was leaning. We tumbled onto the lawn where I pummeled him in the belly with flying fists. It felt pretty satisfying until I realized that he was laughing his head off. Another favorite moment of ours was the day we were fighting about something (very important I am sure) and I stormed off into my room and slammed the door and stayed there to cool off. When I was finally ready to emerge I had a really hard time opening my door. I had to really yank it and finally the door came open with the sound of tearing wood. I discovered that Adam had exacted his revenge on me by gluing my door shut. With super glue.

Good times.

Who would have ever believed that I would grow up to absolutely crave the company of my siblings? I look forward to every minute I get to spend with them. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, we have had a very busy couple of weeks with cousins in town. And yes I am exhausted. But I am also glowing with happiness. I just adore my siblings and my sisters-in-law. And last night as I stood on the porch waving goodbye to the Seattle Romneys I had to just cry because I was so sad to say goodbye, and I am so excited for next weekend when the St. George Romneys come up here again. And I am so grateful for my sister who is here with me and who is such a great friend and confidant and wise woman in my life. (I have plenty of great stories about our wars and contentions as well but I will save those for another time. Let's just say that we all nicknamed her the MEAN babysitter.) (P.S. She is not mean any more at all and I love her.) (A lot.)

Anyway, it gives me hope. I tried to tell my kids last night, as they eyed each other distastefully, that someday in the not-too-distant future, they may just long for each others' company and cry when they have to say good bye. I don't think they believed me.

This shot was snapped just as I asked the question, "Who wants an otter pop?"  




No comments: