Thursday, July 21, 2016

The Week of Living Riotously

Not long after the start of summer, I spend a week trying to revive my youth.  In some ways it went very well, but my joints and muscles sure felt the after-effects for a while.

The first event was a dance.  Yes, that's right, a dance. A full-on D.A.N.C.E. party.  It was held in honor of my darling friend Natalie, who is moving to California. When I first was invited to this evening, I wasn't sure what to think.  I'm sorry, you're inviting a bunch of mommies in their 30's and 40's over to dance? But I was game: I love music, I love Natalie, and well, what the heck. So I went over to my friend Aunkia's house and met up with some friends where we sat in the kitchen and politely chatted, looking uncomfortably at the living room where the lights were low, the drapes were drawn, and a lap top was waiting and ready with a playlist all cued up. It took a bit but finally we put down the dessert plates, straightened our skirts, and went on in.  Aunika pushed play. The bass began thumping away and well, I just couldn't help myself. I absolutely danced the night away.  I haven't danced like that since college, and after the way I felt the next day I may never dance like that again.  Only, I hope that's not true. I had so much fun.  And I'm really really glad that no one was filming me because I'm really sure it weren't too pretty.

Since that dance night, dear Natalie has moved away.  I went to visit her a day or two before she left and here's a picture of us crying our eyes out.  I love that woman - she's a PTA sister and a kindred friend whom I will love and cherish forever.  She's not getting away from me easily!!


Just a few days after our dance party, while my muscles were still sore and I may have suffered a bit of whiplash (I'm not kidding when I say I danced like a college co-ed), I found myself wandering the pathways of Lagoon with my entire family. The girls had used their girl scout cookie money this year to buy Lagoon passes for Girl Scout Lagoon day.  We spent a day on and off of rollercoasters, spinny rides, river rafting adventures and various devices of transportational torture. It was pretty fun.  And apparently I have no photographic evidence of our survival.  Oh well.  At least I documented that we did it and lived to tell the tale. I was on a dose of ibuprofen for a a full week.


No comments: