Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Great to be Eight!

Just like every other year, Emma's birthday landed right at the close of school, this time the very next day.  We of course started the day with birthday breakfast - what a fun tradition that is. Scones and presents and pajamas. One of my favorite traditions that we never intended to create but somehow has cemented itself into the culture of our family.

However, I almost told Emma we couldn't have a party this year because of everything going on. As it turned out I just couldn't do that to her. I was trying to think of how I could make it the least stressful birthday party ever. Like that's even a thing. I feel guilty, but we started by having as few friends over as possible. I told her she could pick three. That was hard - she has a lot of really sweet friends. I'm sorry all of Emma's friends!! I'm sorry! But this was all I could do this year. Then, as I was considering what to do for the party that would not make me bananas, my sweet wonderful perfect brilliant nieces let me know that they could provide the party entertainment by bringing over rabbits. One of my nieces is a rabbit farmer of sorts and she had some pretty sweet young rabbits. Kate and Mary Grace hauled over like six rabbits and a fence to keep them in and that was the party. At least, it was for a really long time and it made my life so easy. Oh my gosh, I can't even tell you how grateful I was. Emma was so excited! 









I have also learned that a small craft (store bought, thank you) and cupcake decorating will top off any party and take up a lot of time, which is always my main goal in party planning. Worked like a charm. By the time the kids were gobbing the last mounds of frosting (also store bought, thank you) on top of their cupcakes the moms were back to sit and chat and try to look impressed when their daughters showed off the sugary nightmares. Couldn't have been better. 














In the evening we had grandparents over and we enjoyed this absolutely gorgeous cake that my friend made. I'm sure we had dinner too though I can only vaguely remember something about popcorn shrimp and fries or something. The cake was amazing. I tried to not let her make us a cake but I'm not going to lie - I really appreciated the gift of this cake. It was a real blessing on this day.



What I will remember most about this birthday was that I was so grateful for the efforts of loving friends and family to help this birthday be a really special one for Emma. Turning 8 is a big deal and I was so happy she felt loved and celebrated.















No comments: