Monday, April 30, 2018

March Begins with a Lion (King)

I was very grateful that I was able to go on that St. George trip with friends, but it did come at a cost. Troy's Birthday was on Saturday and I did not want to miss that. I started driving pretty early on Saturday and arrived home in the late morning. It was a really weird day since I had been gone and didn't do a fun breakfast or anything, and Romney was in a play that had started the night before and she was pretty tired and emotional, so she got a lot of our attention that day. I don't feel like I was able to really celebrate Troy's birthday well, which I felt bad about. Troy is such a sweet and wonderful man, husband, father, brother, son and friend. He deserves the world. We did go out to dinner and get Indian Food which we both enjoyed a lot. He couldn't decide what present he wanted so that was put on hold. It was definitely a low-key birthday. We did have family over for lunch after church on Sunday and got to have meatballs followed by cake and ice cream which is always fun. Sadly, I forgot that we had no birthday candles in the house except for a one and a five. So 15 he was. I thought that would be better than being prematurely 51. 



Later on Sunday I made my way over to The Becky's house because it was The Oscars. How we love making delicious food and eating it together while judging the oscars. They've almost become irrelevant now because we never watch the movies that are up for the awards. Most of them are just not our speed. But you know we can still appreciate the movie clip montages and the crazy clothes and the fun stuff like that. It was a fun night. Here are two terrible pictures of us.



And now to the big event of March. Romney goes to a middle school that puts on a play every year. When I say, "puts on a play," that really does nothing to describe the magnitude of what is really happening. The kids who participate in this absolutely colossal event basically disappear from their home lives starting around Christmas and they are put through an exhausting rehearsal schedule. The demands are HIGH and EXACT and there are dozens of parents who throw themselves into the production as well. Romney came home crying from rehearsals more than once, and I wasn't sure she was going to be glad she had taken part. Especially after the first show, which was a Friday. On Saturday she was a bit of a wreck. And by that I mean a TOTAL wreck. I was impressed and proud of her that she regrouped and went back on stage the next night. Happily, after that first disaster she seemed to love every moment.

I helped out by doing makeup on several of the nights and that was fun to get a backstage look at this show. It's total chaos. I mean there are more than 300 middle school kids in the show so obviously it gets a little nuts. And yet somehow it all comes together and everyone knows where they are supposed to be and when.

They put on The Lion King and I can't really put into to words how impressive it was. The costumes, the sets, the singing and dancing...just jaw dropping.



Here are two dear friends, Lydia and Daffodil. Lydia played Rafiki and Daffodil was in this lovely chorus of 8th graders who sang through much of the show.


As Romney's play was in the middle of its 10 day run, her dear friend who goes to another middle school was playing the part of Iago in their production of Aladdin. Romney was heartbroken to miss it; since she had performances every night she couldn't go see Abby. Then we found out that our elementary school would be paying a daytime visit to see the show and I totally let Romney skip school to come see it. Naughty naughty but it sure lifted her spirits. I know Emma wishes that she could take her big sister on every field trip.






Here is a tiny little clip from Romney's show:






I can say after it was over that Romney was glad to have done it and at this point is saying she can't wait to be in it next year. Since 8th graders always have much bigger rolls than 7th graders I'm sure the number of days she collapses in a heap of teary exhaustion will pretty much double. But I'm also sure that she will show the gumption she did this year and get through it and end up loving it. I hope.

No comments: