Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Kicking Off Christmas

We'll begin this entry with another violin post - the Saturday before Thanksgiving Emma performed one piece in her teacher's whole-studio recital. The Saturday AFTER Thanksgiving, Emma had a recital all to herself. She finished learning all the pieces in book 1 of the Suzuki program, and got to perform every single one of them in her very own recital. Let me tell you, if you think that I had stress watching Emma play one piece, I was nigh unto having a heart attack watching her do all her pieces at once. She did such a great job! She was calm and serene and played beautifully. She only had trouble on piece and that was almost the best part. She didn't lose her mind! She calmly tried it a few times until she got it, even though she was faced with a room full of family watching her. I was so proud! And unbelievably relieved when it was over. 


The minute we returned from Thanksgiving Dinner we got Christmas kicked off properly. That very evening we had our family viewing of The Muppet's Christmas Carol. We let the waffles go this year - still way too full from dinner! But we enjoyed snuggling up and watching one of our very favorite Christmas movies. It always makes me miss my mom a little bit because I know which parts really made her laugh.

On Friday, we ventured downtown. Sheri has taught me to not be too afraid of downtown, even on the day the lights get switched on. It was busy, believe me!! But it wasn't miserable, which I guess is all I ask of the Friday after Thanksgiving. We got to see the beautiful candy decorations in the windows at Macy's, we ate a little food at the food court of City Creek Mall, and we found a not-super-crowded spot on temple square, way up on the east pavilion, where we could hang out and watch the lights come on.












On Saturday Peter and Sheri helped us with a very big project that we have been planning for a year. Troy has wanted for a long time to light up our big tree in front of our house. He has such vision. Last year after Christmas we found some strings of lights that were just right and were also on major sale. We tracked down seven whole spools of lights. We spent a few hours on Saturday getting them up in the tree. Sheri was quite the monkey and really got up in the branches.


Although this photo isn't the greatest, we were so happy to have help getting the lights up, and we love our tree out front. We are the only house on this block with Christmas lights! It's a little sad, and I'm glad we did more this year. Adds so much cheer to the dark season. I'm sure we'll try to find even more lights in the sales this year.


On Sunday morning, before Peter and Sheri headed back home after their extra long stay, we went for a grown-ups only walk in the cemetery. Sheri, who often displays more dedication to my family than I do, went and tracked down my grandmother's grave. I have never done that. I really loved seeing it, and finding all the very familiar names on the stones all around here. How neat to see the final resting spot of so many family members I have learned a little bit about.


As we were walking and talking, we passed this stone as well, the grandparents of my dear once-next-door-neighbor. Had to send him a note to say that I said hello to his grandparents.  It really was such a nice peaceful walk and so neat to find some of my family. Thanks, Sheri.



Sunday night, after the Romneys had departed and we had church, which I sluffed a bit to try to regain control of my house, we spent a lovely evening at our friends' home making gingerbread houses. I love making them as much as I ever did, and even got Chase to help me with the big one. He didn't even make any gingerbread people suffer bloody accidents on the roof or anything. I was very impressed.









Wonderful evening together. We ate leftover soup and breadsticks - I loved keeping things low key. Just enjoy time together, no big production, play a game or two together and get Christmas started!

No comments: