Friday, March 15, 2019

Surviving Winter/Take Me BACK to St. George

I had only been back from my lovely girls trip to St. George when I found myself headed right back there. And I wasn't sorry about it. It wasn't quite as warm and sunny as we were hoping, but it was a lovely weekend.

We chose to zip down south the weekend we did because A: it was NOT President's Day Weekend, a date we will probably avoid forever due to the hoards and hoards of people who go there the same time. And, B: our niece Siena was in a production of The King and I. This is another of the musicals that I grew up on, thanks to my dear theater-loving mother. I'm sure anyone who knows me has wondered just how many musicals my mother raised me on, just how many times will I say, "Oh this is one of my favorites!" Well, the number is too high to count. I think my mom was actually IN a production of The King and I in high school and so she has a special place for it in her heart. I remember listening to the music a lot, but you know what's funny? I really haven't seen it in years and years and watching this sweet little production of it made me realize just how much of the story went over my head as a kid. It was so much fun to watch it and understand all the messages and the tensions and stuff. Run, Eliza! That song used to freak me out and I had no idea what it meant. Now that I'm in my 40s, I get it.

That was Saturday night - but Saturday during the day we took a wonderful morning jaunt to Zion National Park. This was partly because Troy and I have just felt like when we go to St. George we need to spend more time in Zion. It's such an amazing place and we want our kids to experience and love it like we do, especially Troy. Also, my brother Peter was running a half marathon that morning that ended just outside the park entrance. Man was it chilly! As we were driving along, keeping an eye on the thermometer reading in the car, we couldn't help but feel really bad for all the runners. It was absolutely frigid!! I mean like in the teens or something. So cold.

Once the race was over and we collected a tired and sweaty Peter we caught a tram and headed up the canyon to just do a little walking. Truth be told we weren't too excited that it was snowy there. I mean, isn't snow what we are trying to escape in February? But the crisp white snow resting on all the red rock was quite an amazing sight. What a glorious place! I don't even remember the name of the trail that we walked but I do remember being surprised at how cheerful everyone was to spend time in the park despite the snow. We loved walking and gazing up at the rocky heights. We definitely need to get back there again soon.













After hiking came a lovely lovely lunch at a café. It was just warm enough for us to sit outside in the sunshine. Of course there were heaters near by so we cheated a little but the sun, oh the glorious sun.

Then we went home to rest and play before Siena's production. This theater that Peter works for and Siena sometimes performs is very small - it's an old opera hall or something - and the floor where the seats used to be has been transformed into the stage, set up in-the-round, and the old stage, the actual elevated stage at one end, has been transformed into the space for all the technical workings like the sound and lights and things. It's very personal - there are only about 5 rows of seats so no matter where you sit you are up close and personal. The King and Anna were both just wonderful actors and singers and we all enjoyed it a lot. That means that Chase tolerated it with little complaining which is a big deal when it comes to musicals. There were a few moments when this "up close and personal" staging meant that we were all plugging our ears a bit - those Thai gong things are LOUD especially when they are being hammered right next to you. But the production was so well done and such a treat. Yay Siena for getting involved. We are proud of you! I wonder what show she'll take part in next.



If Emma looks teary in the shot above, it's because she takes after her mother and is a social crier. We attended the show on its last night and many of the cast members were shedding tears. Social criers see those tear and immediately spout tears of our own. Can't help it.








No comments: