Monday, September 30, 2019

Miracle

I just have to document my little miracle that happened early in the summer.

Way way back about 100 years ago I got married. I loved my engagement rings a lot. A center gold ring, with five diamonds from my grandmother's wedding ring embedded in it. Then at an antique store I found two bands of gold with sapphires embedded in them. They look great on either side of my diamond band.

Well, I'm not sure how long ago, but at least five years, and possibly more like 10, I couldn't find one of the sapphire rings. I was pretty sick about it. On more than one occasion I did a deep clean of the house - like moving the piano and bookcases and all the kitchen shelves to see if it had fallen under there. I mean I tore this house apart. I never could find it. Eventually I stopped looking so hard for it, but I always had one eye out for it. Somehow I just felt like it would turn up sooner or later in some weird place.

Cut to summer 2018 or so - my mom had been gone for a year and my dad was going through a few of her things. He gave me a small jewelry box, made of carved wood, that she picked up in Russia. He thought I could enjoy the box and maybe put the jewelry inside of it with the other items of hers that I have that someday I will pass out to the grandkids. I looked inside and saw some fun things - a pearl necklace and some gold-dipped leaves. Very nice. But I kind of forgot about it.

Then this summer I was doing some tidying upstairs and came across the small box again. I lifted the lid and pulled out the pearl necklace - it has many gauzy strands of tiny pearls and is easily tangled. I picked up the necklace to examine it more closely and hanging from it was my sapphire ring. I could not believe my eyes. I quickly checked my own jewelry box to make sure I hadn't accidentally dropped the one ring I still had into this box, and no, there was a second ring there. I had found my ring, I don't know how many years after losing it. I can't believe I so absent-mindedly took off part of my wedding ring at my parents' house and just left it there. Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. And mom or dad I'm sure had no idea that it was special - they just popped it in mom's box.

I still am just thrilled every time I think about it, that I got my sweet little ring back. Now...I can't wear them yet. My chubby fingers have chubbed out even more and I need to get the rings fitted. I can wear them on really good days but once I got them good and stuck and it freaked me out a bit. So, I need to get them sized. And fused together.

Anyway, just had to make a record of my happy happy ring return this summer.

No comments: