Friday, July 17, 2020

The Show Must Go On

So during the entire illness and passing of my father, my dear daughter Romney was keeping very busy. I think this was really a good thing - I know I was neglecting my kids and husband and at least Romney had something keeping her busy. From the first few weeks of high school she jumped head first, all in, to the theater department. (I mean seriously, before Corona hit, I barely saw her.) Before Christmas the teacher held auditions for two plays to be rehearsed simultaneously - a lovely musical version of The Secret Garden as well as Take 5, the high school's tradition of putting on 5 one-act plays that were written and directed entirely by students. This is a long-standing tradition. I mean, I took part it in every year when I was there 30 years ago. In fact, I was the producer of Take 5 when I was a senior - meaning that I got to select the plays to be produced as well as the directors. Since then they have taken to adding 4 student monologues as well. Anyway, Romney auditioned for both and got in to both. (!!!)

I was very proud of Romney. She really really wanted the lead of Mary Lennox in The Secret Garden. She practiced her audition piece so carefully and so hard. She had her heart set on it. And she did not get the part. Another darling freshman girl by the name of Elizabeth (who by the way is an absolute sweetheart as well as being very talented) got the role. Romney got a small role as an old school marm. Only in one scene. She didn't even get to be in the singing chorus. She was absolutely devastated and considered dropping out of the play. However, I was so impressed with her. She knew what kind of person she wanted to be, and also that she wanted to be known as a person who was willing to work hard and be part of the team. I know she prayed for peace and happiness and she was given those gifts. She ended up having an absolutely wonderful time being part of that cast. She was part of a small team and I know they grew very close to each other. Also, she got to perform the part of the robin, using a very cool marionette puppet. It was delightful to watch and the cast did a great job. Oh yes and they needed a younger girl to volunteer to play the part of a younger Mary Lennox and Romney signed Emma up for the job. She got to be on stage for about a total of five seconds. She was absolutely thrilled and loved being a part of that cast.





Here is Emma insisting that she needed photos with her stage family - these two lovely kids played Mary Lennox's parents, and you can also see the older girl who played Mary. They were all so nice to her.




The Secret Garden was only playing on two nights: one was the night before my dad's funeral and one was the night of. Somehow we puzzled it all together though - it was actually pretty fun that she got to perform during a time when she had so many cousins in town. They came to support her and cheer her on and I know it meant so much to her. Then since we were able to have my dad's funeral on Saturday afternoon she didn't have to miss the funeral, the gathering afterwards or the production of the play. All very happy together. 

About a month later came the production of Take 5. Romney's play was a very silly (and cleverly written) western in which she played the main villain, a massive-hat-wearing, spit-taking, hilariously-accented cowboy who won every gun battle he was challenged to. It was really funny. And much lighter in concept than some Take 5 shows get. I saw her three nights and Emma saw her on all four. Again, going down to the "Little Theater" of the high school and smelling the smells and seeing the sights sent me into the time-warp, what-year-is-it, how-old-am-I phenomenon, but in such a pleasurable way. I'm so glad Romney has the theater department and that it brings her such joy. 












No comments: