Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Two Great Men

I need to pay homage to two wonderful men.

First of all, Bob McGrath. This man started out in the very beginning of Sesame Street, and I grew up knowing his voice as well as I knew anyone's. I swear, his singing and speaking voice is a part of my DNA at this point. He is just a part of my genetic makeup. He passed away at the age of 90 early in December. 90 is a good long time to live, but I was still so sad! Luis from Sesame Street passed away earlier this year and I love him too, but his voice isn't quite as deeply entrenched as Bob's. Rest in Peace, dear Bob!  


Ok the next man I need to pay tribute to is happily very much alive and I even actually know him personally. My very best friend since high school, sometimes referred to as "The Becky" married a terrific fellow by the name of Jon. You can find him these days creating a podcast called Scripture Gems, which is a study of the standard works of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It's a wonderful podcast and I learn so much from it. Also, Jon is quite the tech wizard and generally knowledgeable person. It has happened several years in a row, right at Christmastime, that I have had a sudden epiphany about a gift idea, but it usually is something technical (like playlists put onto actual cassette tapes for my 80s-loving nephew or digital versions of my childhood home movies). And I always go to Jon. And he always comes through and helps me out.

Well this year, my senior in highschool was in charge of a fireside for her seminary - called a morningside. She had to find the speaker. We both tried for a while to find someone and as the time grew closer we both began to panic. Then the thought occurred to ask Jon, since he has this cool podcast and is a good speaker. He of course agreed, because, would it even be Christmas if Jon wasn't going out of his way to help me? No, no it would not. 

I owe him dinner. And also the chance to be Preslar-free for one whole holiday season.

Jon is on the left. He's so great.


No comments: