Thursday, January 12, 2023

Saint Blair the Bybee


I realized the other day that there is a post I should have written a long time ago, paying tribute to one of the very best men I have ever known. (Of course that description fits both of the fellows in the photo above, but only one of them hasn't been mentioned on the blog.)

This person is named Blair Bybee. He's a retired pediatric oncologist who has lived in our neighborhood for a lot longer than we have, and has been of great service to our ward. In fact, the young men a few years ago renamed him Saint Blair the Bybee. He certainly carries a feeling of sweet saintliness around him, and does so much for other people.

We were lucky enough to be his assigned family to Home Teach, then, when alterations were made to the system, to minister to. He checks in on us every single month, usually bearing a box so stuffed full of treats that we can barely lift it. He heard me say one time that I love peanut butter, and ever since, no matter what else is in the box of treats, I can usually find a few peanut butter cookies mixed in. 

There really aren't adequate words to describe the great life this man has lived, but I will tell you that when Troy needed surgery and also when my dad was admitted to the hospital with the case of influenza that would lead to his passing, we called on Saint Blair for help in giving blessings. He's always been there for us, and I would be remiss in not recording the part he has played in our lives. And if you ever need a good read, ask me about the book he wrote about being a medical missionary in Samoa in the 60's. 


No comments: