Sunday, July 31, 2011

For The Record

I moved to Salt Lake City when I was 11 years old.  Some 27 (eek!) years later I can now say that I have attended the annual Pioneer Day Parade.  I think I may have gone once in my early tweens but I don't really remember much besides being super hot and smashed in with a lot of people, so I'm not sure it counts as having attended the parade if I don't recall a single float or marching band.  This year my sister, who recently bought a home in the Liberty Park area, invited me to come over with the kids, park in her very conveniently located driveway, and stroll over to the nearby parade route.  I was surprised that she joined us in our venture - watching a parade doesn't seem like her gig but she and I chatted about what a uniquely Utah thing it is - I mean, that parade can be a little weird sometimes,  but it's such an eclectic gathering of people from many different walks of life, both in and out of the parade.  I think I enjoyed the crowd as much as I enjoyed the show, if not more so.  There were the rambunctious teenagers, the arguing spectators, the gang of people across the street who erupted in cheers every time they were able to encourage the sign-carriers to spin in circles.  It was really fun!  For about one hour, that is, and then the kids had had enough of the spectacle and we went home for an otter pop.  I may consider doing it again in the next three decades.




No comments: