Tuesday, August 13, 2019

School Comes to an End





Let me make it clear that not everyone in our felt this way about school ending. In fact now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure our Emma was the only person who shed a tear or felt sad at all. But she definitely felt it enough for all of us. I love these pictures. They totally crack me up. Oh the sadness!  Emma really did have a great year, so I guess I understand her sadness about moving on, but let's be honest, Emma would sob like this no matter what!

Romney was so ready to be done with 8th grade and middle school in general. I thought she had a great year and grew close to a couple of especially wonderful teachers. I love the dress she chose to wear to her 8th grade promotion - it's actually a bridesmaid dress our friend Emily wore to her sister's super fun wedding and was ready to let go of. Romney adores this dress. 






 And here's Emma on her last day, just a few hours before her teary meltdown.





 I tried to snag a picture of Romney as she accepted her certificate and got her handshake from the principal, but using a phone camera across a dark auditorium does not produce great photos. She was in the school's show choir and they sang a few really fun songs. Those promotions are quite lengthy - there were like 12 student speeches or something like that. Some better than others. But it was worth it to celebrate Romney's survival of middle school.







After surviving that promotion I headed back to the elementary school in time for the school sing-a-long. (And subsequent tear-fest.)




 I can't really say enough good about Emma's teacher this year. She has never worked so hard. Yes, the work was challenging but also really fun and creative and nothing seemed like busy work. She really grew, became a better reader, thrived in her subjects. I'm grateful to Mr. Mitchell!





 More tears!
 
You may notice that I have no pictures of Chase on the last day of school. I failed to take any! He had the happy experience of being able to go to a concert the night before the actual last day of school, which apparently no one goes to. Yearbook day is on the Tuesday, and the halls are empty on Wednesday. So I missed my last-day-of-school pictures dang it. He probably wouldn't have let me take any anyway.

I was so excited for him - Chase is a major music-listener and one of his all-time favorite artists is Billie Eilish, who came to Saltair on that Tuesday night. We got him a ticket, though he had to earn the money for his pricey hoodie. He was able to go to the concert with his cousin Noah and they had an absolute blast. It was a great way to celebrate the end of his sophomore year. Sadly...I have no pictures. Wait...maybe he has some....

I'll have to add a few if he'll let me.

Anyway, lots of ups and downs this school year and we enjoyed celebrating its completion! I continue to be grateful for the wonderful teachers in my kids' lives.







No comments: