Monday, August 12, 2019

Happy Birthday to Me


I turned 46 this year and had a delightful birthday weekend. Peter and Sheri very kindly came up to celebrate with me, and they took very good care of me.

I'm going to start with a highlight. I don't have any photos, but Sheri asked if I would let her take us out for a pedicure. Uh, yes please. So on Friday shortly after they got here we hopped in the car in the absolutely POURING rain - did I mention what a soaking wet spring we had? - and drove us towards a new little spot in the 9th and 9th area that seemed a little nicer than the kind of places we normally go. And then she said, "Guess what, you are going alone and getting a massage as well as a pedicure! Happy Birthday!" I just about started crying. That was such a super dooper treat for me and I felt so pampered. It was awesome, despite the fact that I nearly drowned getting to the front door of the spa.

Of course the weekend involved a trip to the zoo - it pretty much doesn't even need saying but I loved the pictures. Speaking of pictures, we also recreated a shot of Iva and Chase from a few years ago. It made us all chuckle.






On Saturday, my actual birthday, I did spend some time helping out with the youth garage sale for our church. I know, it's not a very glamorous birthday morning, but it was a lot of work and they needed all the help they could get. Troy was still recovering from his kidney stone excitement and wasn't feeling great yet so I was happy to go over and help organize some things and help the young men and young women earn some funds for their summer trip. I did get to go get a fizzy drink from my favorite sip-shop Thirst with my friend Becca. We also bought drinks for all the leaders. I love doing that.

I was a little worried because my cute niece Siena tagged along with Romney but the two of them ended up at different stations. I was hoping Siena didn't feel abandoned or left out but as it turned out she was at a table with a cute gal her age who just so happens to love singing broadway tunes as much as Siena does. I got more than one report that the two of them were singing and harmonizing their hearts out. So cute.

In the evening Troy and Peter and Sheri and I got some tasty food at Mazza, this great Middle-Eastern spot, also in the 9th and 9th area. So good. We got an early dinner because months ago I bought my birthday present which was tickets to Matilda at Hale Center Theater for me and my girls and The Becky.




Oh how I love Matilda. It's such a great musical. We saw it last summer at Tuachan which was so delightful and fun but we weren't familiar with it. Then we spent the whole year listening to the soundtrack over and over (and OVER) again so that when we came to Hale, we knew it so well. That made it even more fun. It was a wonderful production. I wish so much that we could somehow keep the performances we see. But they disappear from everywhere but our memories. I'm not sure I'll ever want a different gift ever again. Just let me keep going to musicals with my girls. (Boys are always invited too but they don't like it.)




We naturally made total fools of ourselves after the show meeting actors. I never know how to approach them or what to say without sounding kind of nuts....I fail. I sound nuts. And then we get funny pictures of the girls blushing next to actors. It was so great!





So, happy birthday to me. What a great weekend.

No comments: