Saturday, December 11, 2021

The Boy Ages Up

Amid all the costumes and parties at the end of October, we also celebrated the 19th anniversary of the birth of our oldest child. How strange it still is to look at the 6' tall deep-voiced man who lurks around the house seeking out food and entertainment and reconcile in my mind that he is the same person who used to be a 4.75 pound baby we brought home from the hospital all those years ago. He was so teeny he barely could be buckled into a car seat and spent his days sleeping, eating, and insisting on being held at all times. He doesn't feel the same way anymore.

We continue to be grateful for the wonderful friends he made at Aspen Grove. He has spent a lot of time traveling to Provo to hang out with them, as well as hosting them up here. 

One memorable event was the evening that two Grove-ites came up, took Chase to the grocery store and bought a trunkful of the most massive pumpkins I've ever seen. They then carved classic jack-o-lantern faces into them but instead of making openings at the top, they created head-sized holes on the bottom of the pumpkins. They went to several locations and did photo shoots with pumpkins on their heads. They only got kicked out of one of place - I guess City Creek Mall wasn't too keen on the disguises. I'm so glad they snagged some great photos before their plans got interrupted. 

 

Chase also welcomed friends on his actual birthday - it was a pleasure to have them over and join us in singing and eating cake. What a great group of people those folks are, and I'm so grateful for their friendship!

I did get a few minutes all to myself with him - we went and got birthday ramen and fries:

I know I'm chatting about October events, but since I'm writing this in December I feel like I can write about a few events that have been going on.

So, right when Chase came home from camp, he let us know that he wanted to serve a mission, and that he wanted to go as soon as he could, likely in the fall or early winter. I had always hoped that he would want to be a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Both Troy and I served missions, and I know for myself at least it was something that, though extremely difficult, has shaped me and affected my life ever since. I know it had been sort of a vague plan for Chase but I didn't think he'd feel certain about it for quite some time. However, after spending the summer with such amazing people, many of whom were already returned from missions or were getting their calls while at camp, Chase's desire solidified and he came home and declared firmly that he wanted a mission to be his first priority.

Turning in papers and waiting for a call became our first and kind of only focus starting pretty much in September. He spent some time in counseling interviews with our Bishop and Stake President and Chase excitedly got things ready. In early October, hit the send button on his application. We began anxiously waiting for his assignment to come, not realizing that there were several steps in the process and that we shouldn't expect it for a while. But then things stretched out quite a bit longer and then even longer after that. It got a little confusing and even discouraging. 

Finally, Chase was called in to have another interview with our Stake President, who presides over a group of 10 local wards. He's a wonderful man and we appreciate him a lot. He spoke with Chase and let him know that there was going to be a delay in the mission call. Chase had started a medication for mental health in the fall, and I guess a new medication like that can really delay things. The church office has requested that he postpone a few months to make certain that he is emotionally and mentally ready for this work.

This was a real blow, to him and to us. I think mostly because we had been in limbo for so many weeks - this happened in mid-December and he had submitted his application in early October. But also, I have felt extremely proud of Chase. I know a lot of young people experience this kind of delay, and our Stake President told us that it deters many of them from serving missions at all. But Chase hasn't wavered for a second. He has spoken strongly of his desire to serve, and that it has only increased. That he trusts in God and feels that these rules are put there out of love and concern. That he is willing to be humble and do what he needs to do. I'm so proud of him. I had to cry for a while that Sunday and still feel sorry that Chase can't go yet, but I too have faith in the timing that is meant to be.

So, in the meantime, it's necessary to totally switch gears. Time for a job hunt, some school (probably online) and also some religion classes offered at the UofU. Chase took one of those this fall and loved it and is looking forward to more. This hasn't been easy, but there's so much to be grateful for as we watch him grow and learn. Parenting is like that. Hardly ever the easy road you plan for or have in mind. And I honestly think that watching Chase go through this and have to deal with his own feelings has been harder than if I had had to do it myself. Love that man-child of ours.

Here are some photos of Chase with buddies on a very happy day early in October, when we had a Sunday gathering of friends and family to eat dinner together and celebrate him being ordained to the office of Elder.




No comments: