Monday, July 10, 2023

50, Finally!

I think I've been referring to myself as 50 years old for months, if not a full year. It just seemed like such a massive milestone, looming ahead of me, that I figured, oh well, I'm about there anyway. Let's just claim it early. But then the actual day did arrive!

I have such sweet and wonderful friends. I had been planning on having a quiet day kind of on my own. Treat myself to a manicure, maybe shop a little. But then the friends pounced! First of all, Becca asked if she could host a neighborhood party. So nice. We decided to do it on Friday, the day after my birthday. So I thought, well, I'll still just do my thing on the 25th. Then the old group of neighborhood friends, one of whom has the same birthday as me, decided to get together for lunch. THEN dear Emily asked what else I was doing, and I told her about the manicure. She insisted on joining me and treating! So nice. It was a delightful day.

First thing in the morning was perhaps my favorite gift. Troy and I got up early as usual, and in the dark and quiet kitchen he wished me a happy birthday and told me that he had gotten me a little something. I looked over at the table and started laughing so hard. He got me a Highland Cow! We both busted up because he knows how much I would love getting an actual real cow, and he told me this was the best he could do under the circumstance. Meet Angus. He even moos. 


Then Emily and I went for manicures, and didn't realize that we both inadvertently got nail polish that matched our clothes. I guess we both have a signature color. 

After our lunch at Kneaders, I slipped away to go dress shopping. I had several places I wanted to look but I ended up finding the exact thing I was looking for at a small boutique right by the restaurant in Bountiful. I saw it and thought I'd just pop in for fun and there it was!

Romney also gave me a present. It was hilarious actually. Early in the month, Romney let me know that she wanted to get back into knitting, and that what she wanted to make was a "mug cozy." We looked on ravelry and found a very cute pattern. She picked some yarn out of my stash and I gave her a refresher course. Knitting comes very naturally to Romney, actually. She caught right on to cables and everything. Later she told me that during lunchtime at school she even walked down to the studio of a potter friend of ours. She picked out a button for the cozy and also the perfect mug to go with it! So cute. I was proud of her. Then, on my birthday, she gave me a package and of course what was inside was the mug and cozy. We both cracked up. She had been planning all along to give it to me, and just didn't know how to be sneaky about making it, so she decided to not keep it a secret. So funny! I love my mug and cozy. 

 

In the evening, Troy and I slipped away for some Vietnamese food before doing exactly what we did last year. We went to see Romney sing in a madrigals concert at East High. It was actually a really nice evening.

Friday night was also delightful - treats and so many friends over at the Bucherts house, birthday cake and candles included. I love my people so so much.






No comments: