Tuesday, August 31, 2010

All Figured Out

The other night at bedtime I tried a new tactic with the big kids to fend off the post-lights-out barrage of questions, requests, commentaries and suggestions for improvement. (I think you know what I'm talking about, parents of the world.  You've got to turn out the lights and run out of earshot as quickly as possible otherwise you're in there for an hour adjusting the blankets, getting drinks and saying, "Can we talk about it tomorrow?" at least 11 times.) I told the kids that "mom" was going to bed now - she's had a long day and needs a break.  She's all done.  "You may," I told them, "see someone who looks like mom, but that's not mom.  That's Rachel and she is only available to help you in case of a fire or oncoming vomit.  Other than those types of emergencies, please leave Rachel alone."

Bitty giggled but Stomper said, "Oh!  I know her; she's the maid!"  I couldn't decide if I should laugh or cry. 


Isn't this exactly how you all look while you do the post-bedtime cleaning?  Yeah, me neither. I look more like this:



P.S. be careful when you google "maid" or "cleaning lady."  Not all images are as wholesome as these. F.Y.I. 

6 comments:

Swimmingmom said...

Oh, I look like that, didn't you know?!

Keersten said...

Ha ha! I have so had that feeling. I usually want to cry, btw. Great idea with the Mom and Rachel thing. It is so hard for Megan to accept that she needs to go to bed before me and it shows in her many trips out of bed. I'll have to try this for sure!

Melissa said...

I love the glittery sparkles coming off of the duster. That is just the image I portray-especially at bedtime because I'm not at all worn out or tired or grumpy. Nope, not me. Just a picture of patience and love all the time.

Cullen said...

Sooooooo funny!

Windybrook Spinner said...

Great idea. Let me know if it works, kay?

Bella said...

so incredibly perfect! you are brilliant...and so pretty when you clean! i'm jealous.