Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving, Untraditionally

Our family is really good at switching back and forth between the Romneys and Preslars for Thanksgiving.  This year was a Romney year, but since everyone came for Stomper's baptism, and because both of my brothers had big events going on in their in-laws' families, we decided to not have a big ole' turkey dinner at home that Mom and I would cook all day and everyone would gobble up in 10 minutes.  (Pun intended.) Since it would just be our little Preslar gang plus my parents, we decided to try out a restaurant for our feast.  I had a little trouble finding a satisfactory location - it seemed like it was hard to find a middle ground.  It was either a $10 buffet at JB's or a $50 buffet at La Caille.  (Believe me, I'd love to try La Callie, but I'm not paying $27.50 per kid for them to each eat an ounce and a half of food, which is their average intake at any given meal, Thanksgiving or not.)  I think our choice still ended up being pretty pricey, but it was sure fun.  We picked....an Italian place!  Buca Di Beppo, to be exact.  They did have a turkey and stuffing platter, which we enjoyed, but we also started out with garlic bread and calamari, which my children devoured.  Even Bundle got a few tentacles in her mouth and worked on them for at least 15 minutes before handing me the remains.


Then an awesome salad, turkey and stuffing and potatoes of course, plus a veggie pizza and a plate of salmon!  (My kids: won't eat spaghetti, will eat anything from the ocean.  Weird.)  My sister joined the table just in time for pumpkin cannoli.


After dinner we headed over to the Gateway for a showing of Tangled.  Happily, we were joined by the Mayfield Clan of Bountiful and much to my shock and surprise, I was able to see almost all of the movie despite the fact that I was accompanied by an 18-month old child:


Bundle was as good as could be expected, though of course I was slightly frazzled by the end of the show.  Bundle had, naturally, produced a messy diaper, eaten popcorn and choked on it and thus puked on her shirt, tried to gather as much popcorn as she could from the theater floor, and veiwed the aisles as her own personal stair-master.  But hey, I caught the movie, so I'm not going to complain, possibly unlike a few families seated around us.

3 comments:

Bella said...

who wouldn't want tentacles on thanksgiving? sounds like a perfect day to me! minus, the barfing of popcorn.

Windybrook Spinner said...

We saw Tangled too and I loved it. Himself said it reminded him of Winnie, so I cried in a few places, but I thought it was a truly beautiful movie.

Swimmingmom said...

Fun to try new things. How great that your families are so accommodating and that you are able to switch off from year to year. I love that your parents and inlaws were together.