Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mommies Day

I didn't do a lot of the usual kinda stuff most moms do for Mother's Day - no brunch at a restaurant, no afternoon naps, but I have to say, it was one of the best Mother's Days ever.

I already had a hint I was going to love it when, on Saturday evening,  I saw Troy and Bitty whispering in the corner just as we were tucking her in. After their energetic and hushed conversation, Bitty tippy-toed over to me and said, with stars sparkling in her eyes, "Mommy, just sleep in in the morning, OKAY?" So I figured I could look forward to a little breakfast in bed to start the day.  Bitty loves doing that.  Of course, I woke up about a hour and a half before she did, but I killed time by reading and working on the lesson I was giving in church later that day.  Finally Troy had to go wake her up so she could help out with breakfast - she would have been heartbroken if she had been left out of it.  He tried to include Stomper as well, but he seems to be making an early entrance into the teenage habit of moaning into his pillow a low and definite, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" when you ask him if he wants to get out of bed on a Sunday morning.  Bundle wanted to take part in the breakfast as well, albeit on the receiving end.  She woke up just as Troy and Bitty were finishing my perfectly poached eggs on toast (yum!) and when she learned what was going on she crawled right into bed next to me, sat up leaning on a pillow, and smiled expectantly at Troy and Bitty as they came up the stairs with my tray.  Troy went back down and quickly made eggs for Bitty and Bundle too so they could join me in our bedroom feast.  A great start to the day.

I don't know if most mothers feel the way I do about the funny little homemade gifts the kids make for me every year.  Their teachers at school and church both seem to help them come up with a cute little craft and I just love the art and creations I'm showered with each year.  This year it was a hand-decorated shopping bag from Stomper and a self-portrait from Bitty as well as some cards and treats.  Treasures, every one.

After a nice church day we came home to get a few things ready for family to come over.  So no, I didn't nap luxuriously all afternoon or read in the bathtub or something like that, I did some cleaning and a lot of cooking.  And I'm so glad I did.  It was the most glorious spring afternoon - the temperature couldn't have been more perfect.  While I cooked and cleaned, Troy came home and played with the kids (read: kept them out of my way.) They had a rollicking good time with the sprinkler and we ended up with lots of funny pictures of Stomper as he sat on the sprinkler as it was going full blast.





We invited my parents and Troy's parents over for dinner, and it turned out that my dad's younger sister Roseanne was in town for the weekend as well and she joined us too.  I made a Cafe Rio type salad bar so that everyone could have plenty of things to pick and choose from.  Everyone got here at about the same time and we just sat on the back porch enjoying good food, good company and good conversation.  We each shared  memories of our mothers which led to a lot of funny stories and tender ones too. I especially enjoyed hearing my mom relate a story about Grandma Cannon that started out quite picturesque but ended with Grandma chopping off a chicken's head.  Troy's dad also had some great tales about digging ditches with dynamite as well as throwing firecrackers down his mother's chimney.  I guess I know more about my husband and his brothers' love of all things explosive.  Inherited trait.  I really enjoyed hearing all those memories and stories.  Later my sister and two of her beautiful girls stopped by as well and we all topped off our dinner with brownie and strawberry sundaes.







I just felt completely FULL.  Not from food, although that too.  I felt FULFILLED.  Happy Mother's Day to all - (a few days late) - and I send that wish out to any friend or family member who has shown me kindness and nurtured me along my wavering little way.  There are many of you and I love you.

1 comment:

Cullen said...

So glad you had such a good day!

And I must say: the photos in this post are particularly awesome. Not that other posts don't have great pictures . . . but the camera was capturing pure awesomeness. Loved it!