Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Miracle of the Lizard

Going along with the theme of my son's birthday, I feel that I must include a little anecdote about a birthday gift he received exactly 1/2 his life ago; his sweet little leopard gecko T-Rex.

T-Rex has had a good life.  At least I hope he has. We've tried to do right by him. (Secretly, I think T-Rex is a female, but since Stomper is sure she's a boy and nothing will change even if I'm right, we'll stick with the "he" pronoun.) However, over the past year or two he seems to really have been going down hill - he kind of stopped eating much at all and was losing energy and even some eyesight.  He just seemed like he was on his last legs, slowly dying.  One way you could tell was by looking at his tail - leopard geckos store fat and water in their tails which makes them all plump and fat.  T-Rex's tail was starting to look totally shriveled, almost like a little worm all wasted away.  Every morning I was sure we'd find a dead lizard in the aquarium but some how he hung on.

Then maybe 2 months ago we tried a new type of worms...

Oh my gosh, I just realized that once again, I am writing a very boring blog post.  Sorry. Oh well, I am still happy with our family lizard's health, so I'm going to keep writing.

Anyway, T-Rex started eating this new type of worm we had never tried before and within days he was going nuts for them, consuming at least five a day.  His tail is fatter than I have ever seen it and he's running around the cage like the youthful reptile he once was.

This is getting silly. But it can't be helped.  I'm quite fond of our little lizard and to see him snatched from the jaws of starvation and death like that has been very exciting and uplifting to me.  It's making me wonder just what is in those worms.....I can't decide if they're just super high in fat or if they have some sort of deep healing properties.....hmmmmm........





1 comment:

Cullen said...

Hmmm . . . you ever read that book, "How to Eat Fried Worms"??