Wednesday, November 09, 2016

The Departure of Auntie Mo


I've known for a long time that my wonderful cello-teaching sister was feeling ready to make some career changes. It was very interesting to be on the sidelines watching and supporting her as she began to look into what she wanted to do, and see doors miraculously pop open one after another in quick succession until before I had a moment to catch my breath, she was calling me on warm evening early in August to tell me she was moving in a month. It was very shocking but wonderful too, and also just so sad for me! Margaret got a job in our hometown of Boulder, Colorado and after an absolute whirlwind of preparation she was off.  

I don't really have a ton more to say, other than I miss my sister.  She's been like a parent for me, and it's been sad to say goodbye to the years of cello lessons and meals together. She and I were the only siblings here in SLC through the years of my mom's continued advancing Alzheimer's and now it's just my dad and me. Margaret was invaluable in her wisdom and clarity as we made moves in mom's care. I'm acting like she's gone forever. She does feel far away, and I think I'm in mourning a little bit. I am grateful to have a sister and feel lonely without her.






Margaret came back for a visit in October and it was a lovely weekend together - my kids are so connected to her, it's great. I'm very grateful they have her in their lives!


No comments: