Monday, December 19, 2016

Whirlwind Trip to the South

We must be getting to be some pretty seasoned travelers. Not so long ago, planning and executing a trip to St. George felt like a big deal.  And it seemed quite the chore to get all the way there.  I guess now that we've been to Bainbridge Island a few times St. George is starting to feel like no big deal at all.  I suppose that also has something to do with the fact that the kids are big enough to not need diapers and to be able to handle being in the car for a while. That could be it.

Anyway, at the start of the school year Sheri let us know that Siena had been cast in the children's choir for the local high school's production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  How fun! I have loved that musical since I was a little little girl. I knew my kids would love it, especially my blossoming theater girl Bitty. As the dates drew nearer we saw that we would be able to fit in a quick trip to St. George the weekend before Thanksgiving. And as it drew even nearer, we saw that the trip would have to be light speed quick.  Not quite the same day, but we would go on Saturday morning and return on Sunday morning. Worth it? Totally. Especially because at the last minute little Cara got put in as a lamb. We had to go!

The trip provided us with many hours of being together, listening to Harry Potter. Our favorite. Once we got there we had enough time to hang out with cousins for a bit and grab some dinner before we headed off to the high school.

Now, I'm going to be honest. I was not expecting a great performance here. I don't have the greatest faith in high schools putting on the most fabulous shows ever. But I totally have to eat my words. This production was completely amazing. What I loved about it was its simplicity. There were very few sets, though what they had looked great. It was all about the performances. Great singers, funny actors, and such great energy. That show had us clapping and cheering our guts out by the end. It was so much fun. And watching our cute nieces being adorable (Cara) and singing their little hearts out (Siena) just made it all the better.  





 So despite the fact that it was quite the turnaround trip, I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I only wish we could see it again. Bitty has already been listening to the soundtrack nonstop and has pretty much memorized the whole thing. I couldn't be happier. Go go go Joseph!!




No comments: