Tuesday, July 10, 2018

At Last At Last...a Date with Alexander Hamilton

Ever since about October when my friend Anne told me she could get extra tickets to Hamilton and she'd let me buy them and Troy said ok and said I should take Peter and since I waited and waited for Christmas Day when Peter would be opening his Christmas Gift from me which was a cleverly wrapped hint about Hamilton tickets and he got really happy when he opened his present and since
I've been listening to the soundtrack on repeat ever since.....   I've been pretty excited to see Hamilton.

I'm really just so grateful that I had the chance to go. Troy and I talked about sending me to Chicago or something just to see it and instead I was blessed with a sweet friend who knew how much I wanted to go.  The tickets were pricey, for sure, but a heck of a lot less than if I were also flying out of state and staying in a hotel.

Oh but wait! Before I start, I have to include these super cute photos of Emma at her "Wax Museum" presentation that the 3rd Grade does at our school. She was one of I think 3 Abraham Lincolns. She was so funny - she had little actions to go along with her speech like bowing her head solemnly when she mentioned the date of his death. It was so cute.




Ok - Hamilton. April 21 - the date has been on my mind for months!! Peter and Sheri arranged to come up for the weekend and Sheri and Troy were super nice and supportive so that this could happen. It was such a nice night. I was so nervous! Why? This I can not tell you. I felt as nervous as if I was going on a first date. I guess it had something to do with not wanting to be devastated if I didn't love it as much I as I wanted to love it. Before the Saturday night performance though we of course had a zoo visit:





The evening was wonderful! We started out with the four grownups going out to dinner - how nice that Romney and Siena are totally capable of babysitting the younger kids. Well, Chase is totally capable too but much less interested in doing it. So thank you Romney and Siena. We got food at Taqueria 27 - a very tasty joint with maybe my favorite salad around. Butter lettuce, pumpkin seeds, pears and this tangy creamy dressing. This is not something anyone needs to know but I must report it anyhow. Then we went home and got all gussied up and decided to walk down to the theater. It was sunny and warm, perfect for walking. Sheri walked us halfway there.



 I hadn't been to the Eccles Theater before - so beautiful!


I was laughing at myself the whole time because I hate so much feeling like 1 of a million fans. So insignificant. My PTA friend Cory and I later laughed about how we were each thinking the same thing while maneuvering through the crowds in the lobby, that no one there really loved the show as much as we did, that no one felt more personal about it. I'm sure it was true, right? I love it the most? No, of course not. But I did feel shaky with excitement to be there. 

A bad picture of us:


A good picture of us:



A shot of the stage:



We got in our seats, we joked with the guy next to us, we felt wary of the young teen in front of us who was surely going to dance and sing along (she did, really only on one song and it wasn't too annoying) and the loud person behind us who did indeed have a really loud laugh at strange moments but at least she was into it and not talking during the show. (BIGGEST PET PEEVE EVER.) The show began and thus began the waves of shivers as song after beloved song was performed. I really have no words. Just...wonderful wonderful wonderful. Immediately I wanted to see it again. I was breathless! I'm so happy - I got to see it!!


Us after the show:



The walk home was quiet as we soaked in the experience. We did have one big "We Saw Hamilton" hug. Then we just quietly walked until Troy caught up with us in the van and drove us home. We sat down on the couch and I had to have a good old cry. Because it was so good, because I'm so happy I got to see it, because it was over. Good tears.

And now can I just see it again please? Actually what I really want is some type of video recording like that old version of Into the Woods with Johanna Gleason that I love so much. You can see every detail of a great performance, and you can watch it a thousand times. I heard a rumor that that might happen so I'm just sending out my wish to the universe. Because once was such a blessing, and also I hope I can see it again.

Thanks to Peter for being my fan-buddy. We wish we could have had Margaret there too. And Troy and Sheri. And Adam and Whitley. I bet my mom would have loved it.

Ok enough already  - Yay Hamilton!!


1 comment:

Linda R said...

Jealous!!! So sweet you and your brother got to see the play!! Thanks for sharing.