Tuesday, July 10, 2018

The Mighty Elsa

So way back in March we had some neighbors who found themselves in need. They are a super nice family who moved in a couple of years ago. They have some older kids from the wife's first marriage and then a couple of really darling little kiddos together. They also have this dog - this HUGE white husky-ish dog. I saw her right away when they first moved in and of course immediately wished I could meet her and get some doggie love from her. Look to the right here and you'll see that we still have a picture of our own Husky Alex up on this blog - he passed away 8 years ago and we still keep him near and dear to our hearts. So of course I wanted to meet their dog, which I got to do a couple of times. Well, this family is experiencing some health troubles and one evening after bringing them dinner I chatted with the dad for a few minutes and asked him what else they needed.  He let me know that they could sure use some help walking their dog. 

I immediately agreed and was super excited to return later that evening to get her. She is so much like Alex it's a little creepy. Except...she's way bigger and way stronger. I found out just a few weeks ago that this dog, Elsa is her name, is not the Husky-Great Pyrenees mix I had guessed her to be. She's half husky, 1/4 malamute and 1/4 wolf. Oh yeah, she's a big girl. A total cupcake - such a sweetheart. But she is LARGE and STRONG and my first walk with her was a lesson in "Alex was nothing and you are about to get towed across the entire valley by this monster." Really, walking her is more like going on a hunting trip and I could use a few more people on my end of the leash to help me out. I fear for every squirrel, bird, cat and dog on our route every day. And sometimes myself as well. 

I started out walking her a few days a week, and I think it was a great relief for this family. It was awesome for me too because I am always a little doggie hungry and this dog totally fills my bucket. It's almost like I'm a grandmother. I really get to enjoy her a little bit then I send her back home! Anyway, what started out as a few times a week has become every day but Sunday. I love walking in the early mornings and the family finally just handed over a key to their house so I could snag her every morning to get her out for three or four miles. There have been some interesting antics as I have not always been able to unlock the door or Elsa was in the backyard that I couldn't access but she could see me through the windows of the house. True to husky form, she can holler like a Wookie and doesn't hold back when she sees me coming. Sorry family!!

It's been a delight to spend time with her, despite the bad incident with the magpie (may it rest in peace....) and a few close calls with kitty cats. I will especially always remember the cute and very old man in his bathrobe out walking his miniature dog with no leash, who assured me to not worry because his dog was nice. This as my 120 lb. dog was lunging with all her might to reach his terrified little pup. That was hilarious once I had gotten by safely and replaced my arms into their sockets. 

Anyway, I'm grateful that my wish came true, to get my hands on this crazy girl. I love her dearly.






No comments: