Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Birthday Fun for Mommy

My 45th birthday fell on a Friday this year, which is not a bad day of the week for a birthday. Better than the fact that it was on a weekend was the fact that our school had a non-student day that day...translation - a day off of work! Hooray! 


The day was actually quite busy with plans for yard work and the kids had stuff...I can't remember what...but somehow I found myself with time to run errands and paint myself with henna. But before all that good stuff happened Troy and I got away for a quick breakfast. It was such a fun breakfast! We went to a place called The Twin Suns Cafe - the name cluing you in that it's a Star Wars themed place. We decided it would be fun to check it out. We tracked it down and went in only discover that the owner and chef is a friend! He's a great guy whose stepdaughter has been a friend of Romney's since 1st grade. We were so happy that we could support his place. There was a lot of really fun memorabilia there, and the food names were super clever. However, I do have to say that all that paled in comparison to the quality of the food. Holy smokes, it was super delicious and we snarffed up every last bite. And Dan, the chef and owner, gave me a chocolate Millennium Falcon filled with pb&j. That's my kind of treat my dear. Great breakfast.



After a long day we did make it out to dinner - I picked Greek Souvlaki. It was a good pick. I knew everyone would love a good Gyro and who can go wrong with fries and fry sauce?


My bigger birthday celebration came on Saturday. I saw that The Music Man was coming to Hale Center Theater. As I have mentioned, my childhood soundtrack was musicals and The Music Man was one of our favorites. And when I saw that it was coming I knew that I really wanted to take my girls and whomever else would like to go. It's just such a great way for me to celebrate my mom and to bond with my girls. I wanted it so much that I decided I didn't want any other birthday present than to go. Troy is just not a fan of musicals and he said he'd be happy to go if it was really important to him that he join us. I don't feel like I need him to love musicals nor do I need him to sit through a play if he's not enjoying it. Same with Chase. I loved them, I know they love me, and it's okay for them to not be a part of this. I did however buy four tickets instead of three because for a while I thought Chase was going to go, but he changed his mind. I decided to ask Emma's third grade teacher and dear friend Ms. Wiscomb. She is such a wonderful soul. I was so happy she could join us.

So on Saturday afternoon we met up at the theater and had a great time with the play. The girls followed the storyline quite well. A fun part of the day was that our seats happened to be right next to a family whom both Ms. Wiscomb and I knew well; that was fun to catch up. And then at intermission I bumped into an old staff member from the year I was the director at Brighton Girls Camp. Lucky! How fun to run into old friends. And how fun to enjoy another great performance at Hale.



The girls get as star struck as I used to when seeing the actors - okay I kind of still do. They love collecting signatures. Here's Harold Hill himself.



And this cutie played Tommy:


After the show we tracked down a restaurant for dinner - we decided on Cubbies. Elissa and I shared an amazing burger and an amazing salad and an amazing shake and some amazing fries. The girls had fries. They were amazing. Can I just say, I absolutely adore this lady and I'm sad Emma won't be in her class next year. Can't she move up with Emma every year?



Great birthday for me. I really had a great weekend!

No comments: