Saturday, November 07, 2020

A Long Time Coming

Chase made me laugh very hard when we pulled into the parking lot of the DMV so he could take the finishing steps to get his license. He used his deep movie-preview voice and said,

"A Story......

Three YEARS in the making...."

"A Story.....

That made one Salt Lake Teenager miserable and nearly killed his parents...."

We BOTH laughed really hard.

It took a long time for Chase to get his license. Finally though he was all set to do his final drive with his instructor when (take a guess....) the pandemic hit. I think the date was April 1st or something, and of course it got cancelled. It took until August for him to finally complete that last drive, which he was able to do with his friend Ethan. We were all thrilled when he passed the driving test and didn't even miss a single point. Yay! All we had to do, it would seem, was to go in to the DMV and turn in all the paperwork and get the dang license. 

Wrong!

Not only was it heinously hot with long long lines despite the fact that we had an appointment, but we didn't realize that due to the postponement of the driving test Chase's written test had expired. I about flipped out right then and there. He had to take another test. The thought of him not passing that was unendurable. Am I being a bit dramatic? Maybe. But not much. So I just immediately began a steady and fervent prayer.

Chase went over to the testing area and I wasn't even allowed to stay inside the building. I had to go spend a very tense 20 minutes outside just waiting and about sweating myself to death. I don't know when I have been so nervous. I about had a heart attack.

After approximately an eternity, Chase came outside. He looked at me seriously, and then showed me his temporary drivers license. He passed. And I started to hyperventilate and Chase just kept staying, "Don't cry mom. Stop crying. Please don't cry." It's true, after three years of tension over this, to have it finally be over with was beyond relieving.  

Happy happy happy day. And Chase worked through a lot of fear and anxiety to get here. I'm so proud of him. So guess what happened next? Within days I took Romney to get her learner's permit. 

Here we go again.





No comments: