Friday, November 06, 2020

Back to the Theater!

 Last Christmas my girls got tickets to Mary Poppins and Romney also got a ticket for the two of us to see Bright Star, which is a little too grown-up for Emma yet. Bright Star was supposed to happen in March and Mary Poppins was supposed to happen in June. Hahaha I bet you can guess what happened. I was especially devastated about Bright Star because it was so early in Hale Center Theatre's season and I thought for sure it would be just totally cancelled. I love that show so so much and was so excited to share it with Romney. The theater stayed closed for months and I just gave up hope.

But then in the middle of the summer we got some messages that the theater was being allowed to open with very strict precautions - masks 100% of the time, no food, things like that. We were able to reschedule both shows for mid August, and it just so happened that they ended up being just a couple of days apart from each other.

We saw Mary Poppins first, on a Thursday night. We had four tickets to that one and Troy joined us. He's not always a big fan of the musical theater thing but every once in a while he enjoys joining us. It was so fun to be back at Hale. It's just our favorite. I didn't snap any pictures but we had a glorious time enjoying another breathtaking show. They just put on such a spectacle. Here's some pix of the good old 'net. 






The following Saturday Romney and I went to the matinee of Bright Star. It was quite a different experience. For starters, it was not on their main center stage in-the-round theater. They have a smaller stage off to one side called the Jewel Box stage. It's not as small as that name makes it sound. It is more intimate though, and the very steep stadium seating makes every seat a great one. We were very lucky and had seats in the second row, right in the center. Oh what a treat. And this musical, like I said, is one of my all-time favorites. The performances were wonderful - very emotional and heart-wrenching. The music is just the best - written by Steve Martin and Edie Brickell (Lots of banjo!). I am SO GLAD and grateful we got to see this amazing show. We saw it on closing day, so the cast was all weeping during the curtain calls. Being a social cryer I wept right along with them! I think it must be my favorite production of anything I've ever seen.







No comments: