Friday, November 06, 2020

A St. George Surprise

 It is completely crazy what I did. We got home from a week on the river late on Friday night. We spent Saturday cleaning up as much as we could from the trip. And then on Sunday the girls and I got back in the car and drove to St. George. We just had to! Peter's daughter Siena was in a production of Matilda, one of our very favorite musicals. We were pretty sore and still nursing sunburns but there was just no way we could miss this.

As we neared St. George I got a text from Peter telling me that we needed to make a stop on the way to their house - he said they were taking care of a dog and really wanted me to meet her - a giant mastiff I guess? And also they thought the house was really cool and they wanted me to see it. So they sent me the address and we headed there first.

Now, many of you smarter people than I may have been suspicious that something was up. I wasn't. At all. I had no thought in my head whatsoever than anything tricky was happening. We just pulled up and saw my brother and his family sitting on the front lawn of this nice house. Did I notice Sheri filming me? No I did not. I must have been awfully tired. Ok fine I'm always a little clueless but she really got me. Observe: 


Yeah. They bought a new house. And moved. And sold their old house. All without saying one single word to anyone in my family. I think Sheri had one slip one time on a marco polo video to me but she covered it up well enough that I really didn't notice. (Again with the cluelessness.) I was in shock for hours. It was so funny. I'm actually really flattered that they went to all that trouble just to stage such a jaw-dropping surprise for just me. And I'm glad that I walked right into their trap so they could get that classic video. I mean I had NO CLUE. It was so funny. I'm so happy for them! It's a lovely home with lots more space.

We had a wonderful couple of days there - we went for walks in the new neighborhood, which was great, except for when the mastiff next door tried to eat their little dogs. The mastiff wasn't a lie. And it scared me a lot! We ate out and went to Siena's fantastic production. I really love Matilda - and this was all high school kids and younger. The kid who played the Trunchbowl was SO GOOD. He was just so good. Sorry if you have no idea what I'm talking about. 

So it was a quick trip but extremely eventful. I still can't believe they pulled off that sneaky move.












No comments: