Thursday, June 10, 2021

So....That Was Pretty Weird

Our family, (minus Emma who couldn't take it), had a very strange experience this winter. I think I've already mentioned that I managed to fit in QUITE a lot of television viewing. I mean, the entire 7-season series of Gilmore Girls in under a month? That's a lot of viewing. And that was just the start. To give me a little credit, an awful lot of dishes and laundry went along with all that viewing. And hey - we had a lot of indoors time this year. We were always looking for more things to enjoy, especially together. It was pretty hard to find ways to entice our oldest child out of his room to join us. We found some things, WandaVision for example, but mostly he'd stay in his room. So when he told us there was this Japanese Anime that he wanted to show us, we readily agreed. Anything to get him to interact with us! We should have perhaps found out more but we took his word for it. I mean, he said it was his all-time favorite anime. And really, if it meant watching a show with him we were game for about anything.

What we ended up watching was about the strangest thing I've ever seen. It didn't help that it was in Japanese which meant we were required to read subtitles for the entire story. And having served a mission in Korea made my ears be constantly focused on that very similar language so I had trouble reading and listening at the same time. I drove everyone nuts with my questions. (My family now mocks me for excessive hand-raising during a tv show.) Also we always watched at night, usually after I had been running around all day and sometimes it was a little hard for me to keep my eyes open. All those factors made the experience quite a bizarre and surreal experience.  

How can I describe the show without giving anything away? I don't know. It's about this civilization built within huge walls and outside of the walls are these gigantic awkward naked baby-looking monsters that are trying to eat all the people. Sometimes they succeed and it's very bloody and gross. But still a cartoon. The first few episodes left me wondering if we had actually started taking drugs together as a family.

But then guess what. We all got really really into the plot. It was so FUN to look over at Chase and watch him just quietly grinning to himself as we gasped and oooed and ahhhed and screamed and laughed. And then we started quoting our favorite lines to each other and reenacting all the classic anime faces. It ended up being SO. MUCH. FUN. It's a great show.



Darn teenager. He totally got us. 





No comments: