Friday, August 06, 2021

An Object Lesson (or The Parable of the Weed)

Have you ever had a little project that you just haven't gotten around to finishing? And no one gets why you don't finish it? Well I'll bet that half the time it's because that little project doesn't have a nice neat finish. It is somehow connected to another project and if you finish the first project you will have inadvertently begun the next one, which is of course also connected to further projects. 

Let me illustrate just what I mean. I was in the backyard digging up weeds. It has become my favorite morning pastime. (Also we are getting desperate as the drought seems to kill the grass but not the weeds.) Way in the back of the yard, there is this one little clump of weedy leaves that I've made a stab at a few times and I just can't get it up with my handy little dandelion-digger. Finally I asked Troy, just as he was headed in the house to get on his way to work, if he would mind grabbing a shovel for me. He kindly did so, and I really dug down on that weed. What do I find? Not a tidy bundle of roots that give up the ghost so I can finally rid the lawn of this annoying little clump. Oh no. I find one massive horizontal underground branch that is bigger than a garden hose and covered in bark extending out in two directions. 

Well dang. 


From trying to dig up the weed wad, I now have a big hole in the lawn. But I guess that as long as there is a hole there I might as well try to get rid of the root. So I pull. That might have been a mistake. The next thing I know, I've yanked up a 10-foot branch out of the grass, pulling up sod all along the way. Great. Now I have two projects - weeding AND resodding. THAT is why I should have just left that project alone and gone and done something else instead. 




 

No comments: