Thursday, August 19, 2021

Pirates Forever and Some Olympics Too

It was Sheri's idea to get discount tickets to see The Pirates of Penzance at the Shakespeare Festival this year. That was one of the shows my mom introduced to us way way back when. After our harrowing drive to St. George we had a mellow trip and relaxed as much as we could. For me this included watching as much Olympic coverage as I could squeeze in, which is what I do every time the games are on. Another weird result of a weird year - watching 'The 2020 Olympics" when it is clearly 2021. 

This was a delightful trip. Despite being a little freaked out while driving, I loved all that time with my brother Peter to just talk to our heart's content about nerdy movies and books we are reading and thoughts we are thinking. And then of course letting our 12-year-olds spend every minute together which is just how they like it. Romney and Siena sometimes really click and have fun and other times retreat to their own spaces but the retreating always seems amicable. On this trip they mostly were in hang-out mode. On Monday we got delicious burgers for lunch from a divey kind of place in Cedar before going over to the festival. The play was nothing short of absolutely charming. It was clever and funny but not totally overdone like Pirates sometimes is. The Pirate King of course stole the show, though Mabel and The General gave him a run for his money. Sheri and I sat by each other just enjoying the laughs together, doing much giggling. What a treat.


 



We really kept a low profile for the rest of our time - staying out of the heat, watching more Olympics, going for walks as early as possible while listening to a seriously great audiobook called Project Hail Mary which has been one of the most entertaining listens I've had for a while. I'd say the most entertaining reads....but I haven't read a hard-copy book in ages. They make me fall asleep in seconds because I'm very old. 

No comments: