Monday, April 09, 2007

A Visit to Thanksgiving Point


I've always known that Thanksgiving Point had a great Dinosaur Museum and I've always meant to take CTP down for a visit. However, it's pretty pricey and I just never made the effort to make it happen. Then my friend Emily let me know that Monday nights are only five bucks a person - now that I can manage. So this evening she and I, C and R and Emily's three darling boys piled in her van and made the trek. Wow was it worth it! Of course, I've become of bit of a dinosaur zealot, but I really think it was pretty neat. The displays were set up along a chronological pathway with both skeletons and life-like models combined in realistic settings. C was so ecstatic that he could hardly contain himself. I think he missed most of the museum because he couldn't stop running and running from one display to the next, hardly even pausing to look carefully because he was overcome by all the prehistoric delights surrounding him. There were some wonderful play areas dispersed among the displays as well - including a great water and sand play pool filled with mini toy dino's to scoot around and build mountains for and bury. Really neat.

By the way, on an unrelated topic, I feel the need to let you know that RAP is a genius. She is not yet 20 months, and can recognize a circle, heart, star and triangle, and she also knows the colors yellow, purple, and green. I'm telling you, she's brilliant. Don't you think? C cares very little about learning the letters of the alphabet, but I find that forgivable since at the museum tonight he saw a giant millipede and informed me that it was an "arthroplura." The thing is, I'd be better if he'd stick to just dinosaurs, but he's starting to expand to all prehistoric animals, both pre- and post-mesozoic era. I can't keep up.

No comments: