Monday, January 31, 2011

Partaking

On Saturday night I did this crazy thing and got out of the house.  After finding a sitter and making a few arrangements, I found myself sitting in a church with the lights dimmed and listening to some seriously awesome bluegrass music.  The Matt Flinner Trio is a new discovery for me - Matt was a friend of my friend Heather's many years ago, and she encouraged me to come join her at his show.  He won the national banjo competition at a very young age and is now playing the mandolin (and a very rockin' one at that) with his Trio and touring the country. 

http://www.myspace.com/mattflinner




So I have to say that I probably would not have sought out a bluegrass band, no matter how talented, on my own.  I usually have enough trouble just keeping the kids fed and not strangling each other from day to day. But as I sat there, tapping my feet to the music and occasionally laughing out loud in amazement, I was struck by how worth it it is to make an effort in life to get out and partake of what is out there, of the talents that people share with the world.  I loved sitting in the dark lisenting to the funny stories the players shared and the tunes they were picking.  Get out there and partake.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I definitely need more partaking in my life!