Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Matthew Day, Year 12

This year's celebration was a quiet one. There weren't many changes we made to our annual celebration of our baby Matthew. We all take great comfort in celebrating just the same way. This year Matthew's birthday was on a Sunday so instead of buying a take-out dinner we made a picnic and headed to our favorite park up in the hills behind the capital. We made sure to get extra balloons in case of balloon mishaps - experience has taught us that much at least! We really just enjoyed a quiet afternoon - Chase brought his guitar and climbed up a tree to sit and play. Romney cuddled up in the hammock and read a book, Emma romped around and played on the swings. Chase also had a lot of fun with a camera and the flowers and his guitar as well. What a sweet afternoon.














My favorite part is always writing our notes to Matthew, though I never quite know how to put into words just what I want to say. I love taking the time though to ponder and meditate on these feelings about a member of my family whom I long to get to know someday.

We had a wonderfully successful balloon-release this year as well. We strolled up the park pathway to the top of a rise and set them free where they just soared. A great year for the balloons. I suppose that means that next year we should expect a dud of a release. But whatever. I still love this annual family holiday. I know I write pretty much the same thing every year, this being the 12th, so it can't be that original or meaningful with new insights, but I must record this day. It's such a special one for our family. I should rename it the annual Preslar Day of Getting Along. We all love each other a bit more on Matthew's day.





No comments: