Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

Beautiful wonderful Christmas. 

The traditions of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day have really solidified over the past few years and we find a great deal of joy in the things that we do.

Breakfast with the Bucherts for Christmas Eve is the way to start. I'm grateful they are always willing to host us. 

(Okay just a note since I'm writing this somewhat from the future....looking at these pictures is making me amazed that I had no idea what was coming down the pipe beginning in just a couple of days. You'll see. But for now, I'm just focusing on the loveliness of Christmas. I miss it, and not only because that was back when life was normal.)

So yes, thank you to Becca for making delicious breakfast casserole and sweet rolls. We ate more than we should have and loved every bite. We love listening to the Choir at King's College over the radio and watching the kids be such good friends together. How I love those Buchert kids.




And I love their tree. I also miss that.



After breakfast and lounging on the floor for a while, we packed up our stuff and took off for Crystal Hot Springs with the Preslar cousins. As always that deliciously warm water soaked into our bones and we had a great time with our cousins.










That night we watched another of our favorite Christmas movies, A Muppet Christmas Carol. Dad joined us and laughed as we all sang along to the well-known songs. Then it was off to bed for everyone and Troy and I got to have our usual snuggle by the fire in the glow of the tree lights.

It wouldn't be Christmas morning without lining the kids up and walking them blindly into the living room. Even with our oldest being 17 and practically done with childhood he still loves Christmas morning and walking in there with his sisters. So cute.



 It's one of the only days that they are willing to sit together and smile and be in a picture together. Willingly. It's almost the best part of Christmas.







Best gifts of the year -

In the evening we had dinner at my house and were happy to have my sister Margaret there with us as well as two of her daughters. My dad also joined us and was happy and laughed a lot as we made him watch Elf, pretty much my favorite Christmas movie. Besides ALL of the Christmas Carols. We had him watch it once before some other year and he didn't love it so much, but this time he chuckled and found it much more entertaining. After that we sat around looking through all my scrapbooks and finding pictures of the girls as little kids. That was really fun.

My dad seemed extra wobbly as he was heading home, and I felt more concerned for him. Margaret and I agreed that we really needed to encourage him to look into an independent living situation. We worried for him. Little did we know what the next few days would bring.

In the meantime, we had a beautiful Christmas together.

No comments: