Sunday, December 08, 2019

Halloween 2019



What does it mean when Halloween is way colder and even slightly snowier than Christmas? Man oh man did we have a cold snap for Halloween. I was a little bummed because we always love hosting a Halloween Soup on the Porch dinner before neighbors and friends head out to do their candy gathering. I wasn't sure we'd still be able to do it but we went for it anyway, encouraging everyone to bundle up! We had so many friends bring so many delicious soups I was practically sloshing as I walked the trick-or-treating route. 

As always, my kids were all about their costume planning this year. Although they all had clear ideas for their costumes, it did feel easier this year to put it all together. The real exciting part of costumes this year was that Chase had a hairdo he really wanted to incorporate...and it involved shaving his head. I was totally on board with this, mostly because this boy's hair is quite the shaggy mop when it gets long, and it was seriously huge by the time he was ready for his hair do. We left the top of his head long so he could pull it back into a pony-tail, but the rest...gonzo. That was fun.


Chase portrayed Sokka from The Last Airbender. He's 17 and still loves his anime characters. I hope that never goes away. He was so cute, and his costume really wasn't that hard since I used scrubs I found at Savers to sort of fudge it all together. Isn't that what I do every year?

Romney was a very random character from a very random cartoon called Adventure Time named Abracadaniel. So random. And she absolutely loved it and pretty much no one knew who she was. Oh well, whatever, at least now we have a rainbow sweatband, fanny pack and pink tights at our disposal any time we should need them.

Emma had her heart set on being a deer. So cute. I think it's what she actually wanted to be last year but I kind of talked her into being Belle from Beauty and the Beast. (Minus the kind of.) Her brown fuzzy onesie is the greatest thing ever and totally kept her warm all night. In fact she was even a bit over heated.








After lots of soup I left Troy to chat with neighbors who weren't going candy-hunting with their kids. (I was a little jealous.) I sent Romney and Chase over to a teen party where they ate MORE food, did some trick-or-treating and watched movies. Emma and I took one neighbor and his two kids up into the avenues. We had to visit my niece at her home - she is the Halloween Queen so you have to go see her. Also Emma's 4th grade teacher. And then we roamed the streets looking for great stretches of houses to visit. We went far and wide! It was a great year, especially considering how cold it was.



And the aftermath? Chase tried very briefly to keep his top-knot growing but soon it just drove him too crazy. We finished shaving his head. I think he was sorry he did it and did not love the shaved look but I did love it! I enjoyed it for the rest of the fall and into the winter when it finally seemed to grow out enough to not look like a fresh buzz.


No comments: