Thursday, December 28, 2023

All the Christmas

And of course we did so many other things. Enough to make me feel like I got all the Christmas I could ever want....almost. Not quite. 

Here are some more of the things:

Christmas with the Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square, this year with special guests Michael Maliakel and Lesley Nicol. Michael plays Aladdin on Broadway, and his voice was richer than a river of chocolate. Loved him. And Lesley Nicol of Downton Abbey fame was of course delightful, telling the story of Victor Hugo and his service to the poor and needy while living on the island of Guernsey. Lovely evening together.


Our church Christmas party this year was a breakfast, and it boasted a spread of food the likes of which I've rarely seen before. The most fun? A cereal bar with approximately 40 types of cereal. Our activity leader, the dear Carly, hunted high and low for an absolutely incredible variety of cereals. Sweet Bishop Kyle made a goal to enjoy a bowl of cereal at each and every table there to get a chance to talk with as many people as possible. I think there were about 12 tables set up, and and I also think that Bishop Kyle is no longer a fan of cold cereal. There were also a variety of pastries and breads, eggs and sausage, delicious cinnamon steel-cut oats, and more. Trust me, there was plenty to eat. We all got to choose a box or two of cereal to take home with us.



Later that very same day, I went to the home of my friend Betsy, who was one of my mom's very dearest friends. Betsy was turning 80, and her sweet kids threw her a big party. Betsy has 5 kids, and they grew up in Denver, not far from us in Boulder, where we spent a lot of time together. I haven't seen some of her kids in a couple of decades at least. I was so excited. I got to the door, and Betsy's two daughters were there to answer. I didn't make it two feet into the entryway before we were jabbering away like crazy. It was so wonderful to reconnect with them. I've seen the three other kids more recently, and still really loved talking with them. Plus, Betsy is one of I think 13 kids, and I have connections with 4 or 5 of her other siblings, and had so much fun catching up with them as much as I could. I wasn't able to stay for long, since Troy and I had tickets to see Peter Breinholt after that, but the time I had there was just so wonderful.


Funny story - Romney's Nicholas is still in high school, as I have mentioned. The next dance at the school is the sweethearts dance, not until February, but a couple of people were already asking him. Romney's dear dear friend, whom we call Rollins, stepped in because she is also good buddies with Nicholas. She invited him to go with her, and the invitation came while Romney and Nicholas were together at our house. I thought it was so funny. Anna's invitation poster said, "Sweetheart? (Romney said it was ok.)"



Just before the high schools let out for break was a concert - containing the jazz band, orchestras, community orchestras, and three different choirs. Great music. Also, super long. More than two hours. I feel like that's asking a lot of families, but hey, the kids worked really hard. Romney said next to her dear friend Elizabeth who needed some comforting. So cute.


One of the builders who works with Troy's company decided to hand out some treats...really BIG treats....Troy is now in possession of a gimongous bar of dark chocolate that I'm not sure we'll ever get through.


Nicholas celebrated his 18th birthday with the buddies. Romney needed a ride over there so I took the sneaky opportunity to come in for a few minutes and chat with his lovely parents and also watch him open his gifts.



Just a couple of days before Christmas the three of us took the opportunity to go to a no-ticket-required performance of Benjamin Britten's Ceremony of Carols at the Cathedral of the Madeleine. I tried and failed to get tickets to their Carol Concert the week before, and I was pretty bummed to miss that. I haven't seen the cathedral this crowded before for a performance of the Britten Carols. We barely got seats, and we were there 30 minutes early. Lots of people stood in the back. It's such a lovely, haunting piece. Only 25 minutes long or something like that. A treat!



Most years when we are able to get together with the Mayfields for gingerbread house making we do it as early as possible in the month, but we just could not find a date this year! So we ended up there on the 22nd. We decided it made zero difference, just as long as we got to get together. It was great as always.


Except my house....was not ok. Actually it wasn't a house, it was supposed to be a cute truck carrying trees in the back. I opened the package and found total annihilation. Oh well. I ended up just chatting with the adults instead of decorating with the kids. Somehow I'm always the only adult working on a house most years. 




Poor family of mine. Every day they'd wake up and need to ask what was happening that day. I don't think I made anyone do anything against their wills....remind me to ask next year.

No comments: