Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Gluttons for Punishment

I'm trying to figure out what it is I love so much about our evening with Sam and Kathleen and co, driving through a light display with super loud and obnoxious Christmas music playing on a radio station. I can't actually put my finger on it. But I do love it.

I think it might be partly because we don't have many traditions with family members. Everyone on my side is just so spread out, and Sam is the only one of Troy's brothers who is pretty close, plus our kids get along quite well. 

At this point, we wouldn't miss this wacky night - we must get Mexican food, then pile in the back of the diesel pick-up under heaps of blankets. Troy and Sam stay in the cab, and generally keep the broadcasted music off, the smart guys. The rest of us snuggle up and enjoy the ride through the lights. It's kind of dumb. I know. But man, I enjoy it. 

Our normal place, Christmas in Color, way out at the Equestrian Park in Draper, didn't have tickets available on the only night that worked for us. Kathleen tracked down a similar event, this time in our neck of the woods, at the State Fairgrounds. That put us right by this fabulous taco spot that serves birria tacos, which we gobbled in mass quantities before our chilly ride through the tunnels of lights. To be honest, these lights were not as great as Christmas in Color. The music was definitely better. I imagine we will head back to Draper next year. I don't actually care that much, as long as we get to keep going. Kathleen and I have already decided that even when our kids are all grown and moved away, we still want to do this.








No comments: