Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Romney Learns to Juggle

Romney has been keeping herself busy this first semester of school. And...when I say busy, I mean, sometimes it feels like she's just barely keeping her head above water. I know lots of college students are much MUCH busier than she is - for example, she only took 10 credits which officially makes her a part-time student. But she's also taking an institute class and plus she joined the Institute Choir, which rehearses a couple of days a week, and also has had quite a performance schedule for the holidays.

Besides her school responsibilities, Romney also got herself a job. I'm grateful she got the job she did - it pays decently well for a college job, plus she signs up for the hours that work for her. She doesn't have to try to sort that all out with a supervisor or anyone. She just looks at the schedule of needed times and claims them when she can. She's an usher at the UCCU Center there on campus. I think it's mostly been a super easy job, except one time when a bunch of cub-scout-aged boys started to literally climb the walls and she had to get after them. She did not enjoy that at all.

And ALSO....I don't know if you noticed but there has been a certain tall young fella who has been in pretty much every photo with Romney since the fall. I don't think I'm really supposed to blog about my daughter's dating life, so I'll keep it short. Romney has a boyfriend. Nicholas. He is up here, still a senior at East, and so Romney comes to Salt Lake. A lot. Even more than she did at the beginning of the year. She is so happy, we are so happy, and also it's hard to be in different towns.

Here we are at a performance of A Christmas Carol, the first of a couple performances we are going to this year. This time was at The Parker Theater. 

She's juggling a lot! Sometimes my over-empathizing mother-heart gets a little worried about her. I just want her to be happy and not totally stressed out. I honestly think she's managing it all well, though I do know for sure that she is beyond ready for Christmas break to start and to get some rest, with much less time on the train to and from Orem.

Troy and I have had the chance to see her choir perform a couple of times. They are just wonderful. They came to SLC and performed at the tabernacle as well as the conference center lobby one evening. And then they put together a special performance at the UVU institute, complete with a Book of Mormon-themed set, and a few choir members in costumes who delivered monologues from the scriptures relating to Christmas, along with all the music. Romney was asked to take on the extra roll of playing cello with with one of the songs. I'm so thrilled she is continuing to play her cello despite moving on from lessons. 

 



I think my favorite pieces that are part of their Christmas program are Is He Worthy by Andrew Peterson and Anthems of Love by Dan Forrest. New favorite spiritual tunes for sure. 



Well here's to Romney, who is successfully juggling many things. All of them good. I wish for her many naps and lots of time with her besties over Christmas. (Including me.)

No comments: