Thursday, September 12, 2024

Miracle Chicken

One evening as it was time to get the chickens into the run for the night, I had a naughty black silkie bantam chicken named Dutch who was just not going to follow directions and get her fluffy butt in there. So I let her be for a while, thinking I'd just give her a few more minutes and then try again. And I promptly forgot about her. A couple of hours later, in the dark of night, Troy and I spent at least a half hour looking for her. She had obviously gone to roost someplace, but we couldn't see where. Finally we just decided to let her try to live through the night on her own, without the protection of the coop.

In the morning, I went to let out the chickens and expected to see her out there on the lawn, pecking away at breakfast-bugs. But she wasn't there. My heart sank a bit. I looked around the yard again, in all the most hidey-hole of places. No Dutch. My heart sank lower, but I still held out hope. 

Fast forward. FIVE DAYS LATER. Still no Dutch. By this time I had given up hope, and begun to accept the fact that she was a goner. I was heartsick. Especially about the fact that I was going to have to change all my passwords from being based on my 8 chickens to my 7 chickens. So so sad.

Then, miracle of miracles, I was in the back area of the forest picking something up when I caught a glimpse of black fuzz. In shock (and maybe a few tears) I made my way over to what was basically a cave made out of roots. And there was my Dutch. Sitting on top of SEVENTEEN eggs. She had a been a busy girl. And a dedicated one too - five days of nest-sitting? I'd say she'd have given Horton a run for his money!



No comments: