Sunday, May 18, 2008

At Least I'm Not THAT Crazy


Well, I have to admit it. My friend Misty and I went to Stephenie Meyer's book signing yesterday. We bought tickets a few weeks ago, which included a copy of her new book, The Host. Quite a good book, I thought! I always love spending time with Misty - we picked up lunch from Paradise Bakery and headed over to Highland High School to eat as we watched hundreds of girls and women (many many more women than girls, by the way) streaming into the auditorium. I have to say I thought that Stephenie was very funny and engaging, and I was impressed at how quickly over 1,000 people got their books (as many copies of The Host as you wanted plus 2 others) signed. Well organized. Good job, King's English! A very entertaining part of the day was reading all the t-shirts the super fans were wearing. (I can not consider myself a super fan because I don't think I could bring myself to wear a t-shirt.) There were plenty of "Twilight Mom's Club...Bite Me" and "I'm rooting for Jacob" kind of stuff, but the good ones we saw were a guy wearing a shirt that said, "I'm Her Edward." (That guy must be very secure.) I also enjoyed the one that said in small writing on the back something along the lines of, "It's because of Stephenie Meyer that I have an unrealistic expectation of men." That was funny. I can't recall the others - oh yeah, "I'm going Native" or something. Misty and I had to raise our eyebrows a little bit as the gang o' gals next to us had a spirited and rather sqeally discussion of Twilight. But hey, I can't be too critical, seeing as how I was there too...I wonder why I'm such a sheepish fan. I was sitting there thinking, wow, look at all these crazies with their really obnoxious t-shirts...but uh, who bought the ticket? Me! I have to own it. I'm a fan.

I couldn't think of anything brilliant to say to Stephenie as I finally got my turn to get my books signed. The best I could come up with was, "I'll certainly be looking forward to whatever you come up with next." She stopped and said, "Really? Most people just tell me exactly what they want me to do next." So, I guess I did okay. It was a fun day. And you know what, despite the 1000 screaming women, they did not top the screaming at the Mandy Patinkin concert.

4 comments:

Keersten said...

I can totally relate to the sheepishness. (Is that a word?) I am surprised at the number of times I have found myself saying "I love the Twilight books!"..."Oh, they are about, um, a girl who falls in love with a, um, vampire. Oh, yea, and her best friend is, um, a werewolf. It's a lot better than it sounds." Hehe, let's hear it for guilty pleasures! I love the "I'm her Edward" teeshirt. I'll have to find that for a superfan friend.

Kathleen said...

I thought of you when I saw the whole scene on the news that night. I tried to get tickets after you told me about it but they were sold out. Oh well, maybe next time! Glad you had so much fun!

tiffrsmith said...

So jealous! I'm not a super fan by any means, but I not at all shy about professing my love for Twilight. Then again, I spend most of my day with teenagers. It gives us something to talk about. When I finished the series, I didn't want to give the books back to my sister, because I felt like I had some sort of relationship with them. And I can't wait to read "The Host." Its definitely on my summer reading list.

Adam said...

cute necklace...you look great! Sounds like it was a fun night.
love,
whit