Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I Thought I was Being Cool

You all know by now that I have a place in my heart for Twilight, and I confess that I have seen the movie more than once. Those of you who have also seen the movie may or may not have noticed that Bella wears some completely cool mittens. I noticed them the very first time I saw it and just loved them! They even make an appearance in the second movie. I wondered about finding a pattern for them so a couple of weeks ago I googled "Bella's Mittens" and found a pattern posted on a nice young woman's blog - I was so excited to have found them and admired her greatly for figuring out the pattern. Okay, I kind of found the pictures she had of herself wearing the mittens and cuddling an apple with them were a little lamespice, though she is obviously a terrific knitter. Sorry.

I was feeling a little sheepish becoming a Bella-wanna-be, so as I went to my favorite yarn store I tried to be discreet about finding the right kind of yarn. I wasn't sure, and finally figured that asking the woman for help wouldn't reveal me instantaneously as a Twilight lerp. (No offense, fellow lerps.) Ha! I asked the woman there what to use and she asked me what pattern I was knitting, and I started to pull the pattern out of my bag. She took one glance at it, and said, "Oh, let me show you what I used!" She took me over to this display where she had a copy of Twilight set on a stand next to the mittens and a big sign, "Knit Bella's Mittens!" Oh lame. She said she had had so many women badgering her about the dang things she finally found the pattern herself, knit them up, and is now completely sold out of the yarn. Sigh. Well, I am what I am, and I decided to press on. I bought a slightly different yarn, which I love, and knit the mittens, which I love. And here they are, embracing the true love of my life, Edward be darned.


14 comments:

Julie said...

They look great... as does the Belgian chocolate you are holding :) You have talent!

Misty said...

As a fellow Twilight lerp, let me ask the all important question .... do you take orders???

Windybrook Spinner said...

You are hilarious! I love the bag of chocolate. It looks like blocking worked. They are awesome.

Carrie said...

I LOVE them!!

Melissa said...

I need you to give me knitting lessons! Those are really cool. Where do you find the time for that?

Adam said...

You did it! They're awesome! I think I need the pattern....but the chocolate will be long gone before they're finished :) Any sleep last night?
-whit

Kathleen said...

Those are super cute! Good job!

Kate said...

Awesome! I just picked up a learn to knit book today. That has now joined the lineup of my unfinished projects. Maybe someday I'll be good enough to knit Bella's mitts too!

ghd3 said...

love it. I do not knit, nor do I know much about Bella. But I like good chocolate. And Rachel. Cool mitts, sis.

Cullen said...

Great post. I found it very entertaining.

By the way: I love your blog! Very well written and enjoyable!

Unknown said...

Oh, I love your "lerpiness" That is hilarious and awesome. The gloves are very cute!

Swimmingmom said...

So, I haven't seen twilight, and would never know that is where the inspiration was from. Fantstic job. I LOVE those. So cozy.

tiffrsmith said...

I'm with Misty... do you take orders? Seriously, I would love a pair of those!

stephgardner said...

Too bad they're not snow white in color - (we just got the fun chilren's book "The Mitten" for Christmas - they look similar!)