Sunday, February 07, 2010

Quarantined

Remember that old primary song about Oh What Do You Do in the Summertime? Well, I reworded it a little.

Oh what do you on the Sabbath Day when everyone is ill? ...

Oh forget it. I thought I could be all clever and rewrite the whole song to fit our day, but since I started this post at 8:00 p.m. and it is now 10:30, I have decided to bag that idea. Perhaps another day.

Basically, last night I spent the night listening to the oh-so peaceful and slumber-inspring (not!) cacophany of coughing coming from myself and my two older children. By the time 6 a.m. rolled around (WHY can't they sleep IN on weekends and get UP on school days?) they were up and begging for movies and snacks. I figured that sounded pretty good and we should just sit the day out at home. No one at church wants to listen to the entire Preslar family coughing their brains out for three hours, right? So what did we do? Actually, amazingly enough and despite the pit of dread I felt at the thought of an entire unscheduled day stuck inside, the day went pretty well. I had to be on my toes, which is not where I wanted to be when I was one of the patients too, but it worked out.

Some of our activities? Making muffin-tin lunches...


...which were to be eaten in our duo of forts erected in the living room:


We got out every toy we could find, spread it evenly around the living room and set Bundle down right in the middle. She was pretty happy about it!


We also went outside (yes!!!!!!) and walked up to the park for a very brief and chilly run around and scream session. We watched movies, of course, and I played a LOT of 'dragon' with Bitty. "Pretend you see a dragon in the living room." "Okay, I see a dragon in the living room." We colored and cut up magazines (Stomper's bed is now bedecked with tiny cutouts of all the new legos he wants as found in the lego "magazine" we got. Way to get out more advertising, Lego!) We even made cookies. Well, cookie. I actually despise making cookies, and I think it's because I hate washing 3 cookie sheets, and all the tedium of getting the cookies in and out of the oven every 10 minutes. You're stuck in the kitchen for like 40 minutes while the place just gets messier and messier. (Bah humbug to you too.) So we just made one big cookie on a jelly roll pan, and it turned out great. The kids ate theirs with chopsticks.


All in all, I'm happy to say that we survived the day. No one had any major meltdowns, including myself, and the kids were pretty happy and cute. We didn't get much Superbowl watching done, but that's okay. There will be another one next year, and I dare say that there isn't much chance I'll care about either of those teams either! I did catch the Oprah/Dave/Jay commercial that was about 15 seconds long and hilarious, though. I like that Dave.

Okay, well, here's to a better week this week - may we all overcome the illness that has been living at our house for a couple of weeks now. The kids are sleeping quietly, which I take as a good sign. Now let's see if I can do the same.

4 comments:

jefferies said...

I wish you all a peaceful sleep tonight and may you have a much healthier week!

Adam said...

sorry ya'll have been sick! Love the new hair cut!
-xo-whit

Unknown said...

Wow! You are super mom! Sounds like a fun day.

Melissa said...

I've been listening to nonstop coughing around here for a couple of days, too. I keep thinking of that movie, "Outbreak" where they show someone coughing in a movie theater and you watch all the germs spreading through the air. I hope you are all feeling better soon!