Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Second Annual Team Firestorm Ben's Birthday Ride

It is now March 31st, 10:00 at night.  I have two hours to get this entry posted so it will count toward March, one of the lowest blogging months ever.  That's partly because it's been one of the loveliest Marches ever and we've just been out doing stuff and enjoying the weather like crazy.  I love it when March comes in like a lamb and goes out like a lamb.  Beautiful day.

We had quite the grand finale to the month today - we had many events and family outings.  I had been slightly anxious about us getting everywhere we should be at the right time with the right stuff but it actually all happened without a single major incident.  I feel safe saying that only now that everyone in the house is asleep except for me.  I wouldn't have dared to say it a moment earlier for fear of jinxing it and everything crumbling apart after all.  Okay, it wasn't actually that crazy of a day, but we did have a big morning.

I'd like to get a post in about our other events of the day but first and most importantly, today was the Second Annual Team Firestorm Ride, memorializing our friend Ben Jacobsen.  I love that Allison, his wife, celebrates Ben's birthday much more than the day he went "up the trail and around the bend." It really is such a party and it just fills me with joy to see him remembered in this way.  We meet early in the morning at the mouth of Emigration Canyon for a bike ride to the top.  This year was made twice as enjoyable as last because the temperature outside was literally twice that of last year.  Soooo much nicer.

I am the designated photographer though after looking at pictures today I've decided that I need to make it a priority to hoist myself onto a bicycle and start peddling.  I enjoy snapping pictures of this large group of people, though since I don't know everyone I'm sure I caught a few random cyclists in my pictures who were wondering what on earth some lady was pointing a camera at them for.  We weren't able to find a sitter for the kids and I had anxiety about getting them up early and  there on time but it all worked out.  They were so cute hanging out my car windows (while parked) waving at the riders and giving them all the thumbs up.

Anyway, there's just a terrific energy there and I really look forward to any time I can get together with these people.  Several who were able to join last year weren't there this year and that was sad but their hearts were there for sure.

Ben, we love and miss you.








No comments: