Monday, March 26, 2012

Wait, It's March the WHATth?

I don't think I've ever gone a whole month having posted just one blog entry before, and it looks like it's going to be a close shave here to get a few down before April is upon us.  Busy busy!  Actually it might just be "lazy lazy," but let's shoot for the best here.

So in the waning hours of March 2012 I'm trying to think of what I want to post about and remember of the happenings of this month.  I think that though there are a few good stories to tell and pictures to post I have to start with recounting a few of our trips to a park which is quickly becoming a favorite in our family. We had a mild winter, that's for sure, but it was winter none the less, which meant that we had a lot of cold, a lot of dark, and a lot of inside time.  March this year has proven to be much more lambish than lionish - warmer-than-average days, sunshine, breezes.  It's been, to use my friend TL's favorite expression, GLORIOUS.  We have taken as many chances as we could to get out and enjoy it.  Very good for the soul. And one of our most frequent outdoor stops has been Lindsay Gardens.

Lindsay Gardens is the last remaining park I'm aware of that still has the death-defying and law-suit-waiting-to-happen injury machine known as the merry-go-round.  It's old, metal, warped, and always the main attraction at the park.  Bitty especially adores the thing and can spend quite a long time just sitting on it, endlessly rotating, without ever complaining of illness.  I have sat on it for a while holding Bundle and all I can do is wrap my arms around her and close my eyes to keep my equilibrium somewhat intact.  I hate the thing.  One particular Saturday while we were there I watched in absolute amazement as dozens of kids climbed on and off of it in a continual rotation for probably 90 minutes.  I have never seen it so covered in children.  It looked a little like a silver potato chip left out at a picnic and was completely swarming with ants.



On another more recent Saturday evening we had a magical family outing there.  We were lucky enough to be the only park attendants that night and there was some kind of divine intervention going on because the kids were getting along and playing super well together.  As tough as parenting is, as totally challenged and crazy and desperate as I feel sometimes trying to manage this whole "family" thing, those times when we're all together, peaceful and happy, are the reward for all the other times that aren't like that at all.  Blog posts coming up on the latter situation shortly.  Anyway, it was a really wonderful evening together, with much time spent on the merry-go-round.  Like I said, Bitty seems to find her zen there, just sitting and turning smoothly.  Sadly, Stomper does not seem to have Bitty's consitution and after riding the merry-go-round (as Troy tested his muscles on spinning it) had to lie down on the grass for a good half hour.  He looked slightly green. Of course he had also experienced the effects of cetrifugal force and almost went into orbit during Troy's speed test, so that may have had something to do with it too.  The evening was topped off later by our family's first viewing of The Muppets.  Oh my gosh I loved that movie.  We all did, and have been singing tunes from it ever since.  Anyway, Lindsay Gardens has been a highlight this spring and will be until Summer, when the sun will heat up the merry-go-round to the setting of blazing hot and no one will touch it again until October.


 I recognize that this might possibly be the worst picture of me ever, but I was making such a funny face, demonstrating my true feelings for riding on a merry go round that I couldn't help but post it.






4 comments:

Swimmingmom said...

You are funny Rachel! I love that you posted that picture of yourself!!!! We have a similar merry go round at a park nearby,but it generally is filled with much older kids who spin too fast for my girls!!! Miss you guys!!!!

Windybrook Spinner said...

Best March ever! I just discovered a park near the Riverton library with a merry-go-round. It seems newer and is so heavy you can't get it going very fast, so maybe they've improved the design. I refused to get on it, but I had fun pushing Chugs and Peep on it for awhile.

Cullen said...

Loved the post! And your picture illustrated perfectly your feelings toward the merry-go-round!

Now I want to go find a playground somewhere . . .

jefferies said...

I LOVE that park!
Ah...I was very happy when I realized that many parks up here in Portland still have the old school playground equipment. The new stuff just isn't as good.
I love your picture too...AWESOME!
Let's be neighbors someday, shall we?