Tuesday, October 18, 2022

A Jolly Holiday in St. George

Lickity split, make a quick trip. 


I have a sweet friend in the neighborhood who is retired and bought a condo in St. George, close to Snow Canyon and the Tuacahn Theater where she volunteers as an usher. She ended up with extra tickets to the plays this year, and very kindly offered them to me. I was so happy to take her up on her generous offer. 

I picked up the girls a little early from school on Friday the 7th, and we made our way south. It was a good thing we went early - I thought I was giving us an extra hour and a half but there was some very slow traffic around Nephi that slowed us down to the point that we went straight to the theater and got there with only 20 minutes to spare before the show started.

Our first evening we got to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I'm sure that this is the play I have seen more than any other in my lifetime. I love it - I am sure I also know the lyrics to this better than any other show. This particular production was very showy and sparkly, and was a ton of fun. A couple of parts were a little over-the-top, even for a Joseph show, but overall it was a delight. The best surprise for me was taking the Pharaoh and making the character a woman. Infact, the pharaoh was Tina Turner, which totally worked. So fun.



We spent Saturday being lazy at the Romney's house, watching The Dark Crystal at Romney's request, as well as watching the Utes lose to UCLA. We ate a lot, went to a craft sale, and got to see Sheri briefly, as she was working a lot that weekend.

For the Saturday evening show we had one extra ticket, and Cara joined us to see Mary Poppins. Again, a really fun show. Of course the flying was amazing - she sailed by right over our heads. Burt was especially fun, and I enjoyed the sets a lot. But I have decided that Mary Poppins just isn't my favorite musical. I don't seek out the music from it ever, and love the old movie too much. So, I was grateful for these tickets and had a grand time, but I don't think Mary Poppins is going to be a tempting show for me in the future.



 

Sunday was a nice quiet morning, just being with family before making the drive back home. I guess all of our trips are about the same length, but this felt especially short. Everyone had other stuff going on, but it was just nice to be there, you know? And so nice of my friend to give us her extra tickets. What a treat!

No comments: